A&H

NWCFL

The Referee Store
I've just sent an email showing my interest, though a lot of games would be a bit of travel for me.

Couple of questions if anyone can answer quickly (I'm impatient lol).

Do they pay expenses for AR?
How early are AR expected to be at games beforehand?

Cheers

I've just sent an email showing my interest, though a lot of games would be a bit of travel for me.

Couple of questions if anyone can answer quickly (I'm impatient lol).

Do they pay expenses for AR?
How early are AR expected to be at games beforehand?

Cheers
I would say between an hour to 90 mins ref dependent. It used to be reffed by l3s and 4s as AR but now reffed by 4s.
A lot of step 5/6 leagues have opted for a flat fee.
In any case it is likely you would need to joint trav with ref or claim up to the meet point if expenses are paid

I've looked at the areas considering where I live and the general is looking like 45-90 minds depending on teams, the lower end suits me if no expenses. I already have an afternoon league on a Saturday so would happily swap each week but midweek that level wouldn't easily work for me with my own work at the mo, though I'm willing to put in the effort! I'll have a mull over things over the next few days.

Cheers

I've looked at the areas considering where I live and the general is looking like 45-90 minds depending on teams, the lower end suits me if no expenses. I already have an afternoon league on a Saturday so would happily swap each week but midweek that level wouldn't easily work for me with my own work at the mo, though I'm willing to put in the effort! I'll have a mull over things over the next few days.

Cheers

Flat fee of £40 where I am. Obviously this will differ across the UK. As James said, games are mainly reffed by 4s or 5-4s. There was a game reffed by a 5 near me last week I believe.

It is currently a £25 fee and 34p a mile expenses I believe for NWCFL assistants. It is currently a £38 fee for referees in most local leagues in this part of Cheshire, so it doesn’t take rocket science to understand why they might be struggling to recruit assistants from our area at least.

There are also still two Step 7 Leagues at Supply League level and three Step 7 leagues that are not at Supply status, that still appoint assistants in their top divisions in the North West. Some of those Step 7’s pay flat fees of around £30-£32 for their assistants too so it will be making it harder for the NWCFL to recruit, as some people won’t want the additional time or travel commitments that are involved.

I have seen an advert from one of the local Step 7 leagues too this week asking for people to join as assistants on their panel, so they may be struggling too, despite the fees being paid.

I can see the FA removing the Supply League status from the remaining Step 7 leagues here that have it at some point and/or mandating referee only for leagues below Step 6 level. Sadly, it probably won’t take long now for that to happen if Step 5/6 cannot staff their games with officials. A shame because the Step 7’s here at least, have been a good proving ground for officials coming through the system. It seems crazy that the first experience of assisting could be at semi-pro level in future.

Back