Ref4Me

Notts FA Promotion Fitness

bmace3

Level 7 Referee
I've been looking at the promotion criteria for L7-6 for next year potentially and the information from Notts FA says you need to attend a fitness assessment. Does anyone know what this entails so I know what to be working towards? I've seen the 5/4 one with the 12 minute run but can't find anything for 7-6.

Thanks

The Referee Store

ChasObserverRefDeveloper

Regular Contributor
I've been looking at the promotion criteria for L7-6 for next year potentially and the information from Notts FA says you need to attend a fitness assessment. Does anyone know what this entails so I know what to be working towards? I've seen the 5/4 one with the 12 minute run but can't find anything for 7-6.

Thanks
It varies by County, so you need to ask locally.

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee

Thanks
Generally for 7-6 you would be asked to attempt the same test as 5-4 but either as an advisory (so you know what will be required once you get to 5-4) or with a reduced distance requirement. It will be some form of 12-minute run, but the details on exactly how far you will be asked to cover and/or what happens if you don't achieve it will be up to the county FA.

JamesL

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Generally for 7-6 you would be asked to attempt the same test as 5-4 but either as an advisory (so you know what will be required once you get to 5-4) or with a reduced distance requirement. It will be some form of 12-minute run, but the details on exactly how far you will be asked to cover and/or what happens if you don't achieve it will be up to the county FA.
Cornwall FA used a run walk run test for assistants on step 5/6 and step 7 refs.

The level 4 test, I believe, will be changing to this style this season. It was being tested the other week so expect it to be in place for this summers tests.

LM1996

Level 7 Referee
Just jumping in on this one - I’m going for 7-6 next season with Somerset and their fitness test requirement is 2000m continuous run in 12 mins and 2 x 50m sprints in 7.5 seconds.

I’m not the quickest over a short distance so I’m a bit worried about the 2 x 50m sprints. Does anybody have any advice for preparation or practice techniques?

Viridis1886

I don't care if you got the ball...
Level 7 Referee
Just jumping in on this one - I’m going for 7-6 next season with Somerset and their fitness test requirement is 2000m continuous run in 12 mins and 2 x 50m sprints in 7.5 seconds.

I’m not the quickest over a short distance so I’m a bit worried about the 2 x 50m sprints. Does anybody have any advice for preparation or practice techniques?
I'm also looking at 7-6 in Somerset next season. I'll be 49 at the point of putting myself forward. I've had a bit of an injury so not been doing a lot of exercise other than matches over the last 6/7 weeks. I tested myself on the 2000m the other day and managed it pretty much to the second, but needed to include a short break in the middle! I either need to get my pacing better or just break through the stamina barrier. I've not tried the sprint part so not sure where I stand on that. Have you timed yourself yet @LM1996?

LM1996

Level 7 Referee
I'm also looking at 7-6 in Somerset next season. I'll be 49 at the point of putting myself forward. I've had a bit of an injury so not been doing a lot of exercise other than matches over the last 6/7 weeks. I tested myself on the 2000m the other day and managed it pretty much to the second, but needed to include a short break in the middle! I either need to get my pacing better or just break through the stamina barrier. I've not tried the sprint part so not sure where I stand on that. Have you timed yourself yet @LM1996?
Nice to see another Somerset user! Did you go to the promotion seminar tonight with Matt?

I’m a keen road runner but haven’t tried the 2000m yet. I’m going to give it a go tomorrow night and see how I get on!

I’m more worried about the sprints as I’m not very quick 😂

What part of Somerset are you from?

JamesL

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee

Hill sprints. Find a hill and just run up it maximally a few times once a week. 15 seconds up, slow recovery back down to the bottom.

ChasObserverRefDeveloper

Regular Contributor
Remember that when you do the test it has to be a continuous run - no half time break! Hope it goes well.

Viridis1886

Level 7 Referee
Yes, that the bit I need to suss out. I was reassured to find out that my basic level of fitness is obviously not too far off the standard. Only tried it recently, so I need to work out if it is pace I need to adjust or stamina. Ideally both with practice.

Viridis1886

Level 7 Referee
Hill sprints. Find a hill and just run up it maximally a few times once a week. 15 seconds up, slow recovery back down to the bottom.
Great suggestion. I have a nice steep driveway! How many repetitions would you suggest?

JamesL

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Great suggestion. I have a nice steep driveway! How many repetitions would you suggest?
As many as you can manage really.
I'd maybe start out with a lower volume sessions, maybe x10 and work up from there.
This can be a heavy session so make sure you warm up and take a rest day afterwards or active recovery if you need it.