A&H

Not paid for pre season game

happy whistler

Level 7 Referee
Did game. Away team paid their half. Home team asked me to message bank details and they will transfer money. Payment not received despite promises and chasers. Process is to report to league for normal games.
What do I do though for friendly game?

The Referee Store
Did game. Away team paid their half. Home team asked me to message bank details and they will transfer money. Payment not received despite promises and chasers. Process is to report to league for normal games.
What do I do though for friendly game?
Contact someone from the county FA will be my advice. Maybe the central appointments officer or your referee development officer. I did a team last week (very nice team by the way, always polite and actually are a decent team who play one division below county) and they paid a week and 1 day later. Maybe it’s worth leaving it a week - if already then contact someone from the FA.

The main reason why I don't like being paid by BACs. In my experience, very very rarely paid promptly or when promised.

You have to check your account, chase, check again, chase again etc etc etc

The main reason why I don't like being paid by BACs. In my experience, very very rarely paid promptly or when promised.

You have to check your account, chase, check again, chase again etc etc etc

Of course will vary wherever folk are but with the much increased use of BACs for our match fee, surely some rule will be brought in that the fee is paid within say 36 hour or its simply reported to league/fa and they will chase it

Hate it. At my club, we get the ref’s details as a reply to our confirmation email (and don’t store them after the game obviously), and I physically send it via my phone when they turn up.

Never had good experiences at any club when officiating. Just stick cash in an envelope

Of course will vary wherever folk are but with the much increased use of BACs for our match fee, surely some rule will be brought in that the fee is paid within say 36 hour or its simply reported to league/fa and they will chase it
Had hardly any paid in that timescale. Do as you say - They chase, report back, we check again, report back to them etc etc etc

Cash - transaction done in 5 seconds - sometimes 'traditional' is actually 'best'

Get used to it, cash payments will be gone sooner rather than later. Recently back from Norway and hardly anywhere there takes cash, we won't be far behind. Would you still want to be paid in cash if you can't spend it and will just need to go to a bank to pay it in?

All they need is a simple rule: a 10 pound surcharge on any game fee not paid within 48 hours. And another 10 after a week.

I prefer being paid by bank transfer, so much easier. The only thing I will say in response to a post above is that you don't necessarily have to go to a bank to pay money in, you can do it at post offices, which is a massive help.

I prefer being paid by bank transfer, so much easier. The only thing I will say in response to a post above is that you don't necessarily have to go to a bank to pay money in, you can do it at post offices, which is a massive help.
But it is still a bit of a faff compared to handing it over in a shop, that's my point.

All they need is a simple rule: a 10 pound surcharge on any game fee not paid within 48 hours. And another 10 after a week.
No, all they need is a simple rule: pay for the game BEFORE it starts. Thats what we do in Australia....never had a single problem.

Get used to it, cash payments will be gone sooner rather than later. Recently back from Norway and hardly anywhere there takes cash, we won't be far behind.
I still think we're a long way away from that here in the UK. 😉
A referee having to chase a club for their fee is disgraceful, friendly or otherwise.
The day I have to is the day I won't be refereeing said club ever again. ...

No, all they need is a simple rule: pay for the game BEFORE it starts. Thats what we do in Australia....never had a single problem.
That creates issues for grass roots referees with shared or non-existent changing rooms, sadly.
Should be a simple process - look after the match ball after the game, get paid, give the ball to the person who pays you😏

That creates issues for grass roots referees with shared or non-existent changing rooms, sadly.
Should be a simple process - look after the match ball after the game, get paid, give the ball to the person who pays you😏

As ever what seems the simpliest suggestion has flaws

plenty leagues have match fee split 50/50, so holding onto the match ball has no impact on the away team.

unless of course there is procedure where the away team gives the home team their share prematch, which of course is not ideal

The proposal I submitted to local association is still under discussion.
Team (s) BACS their match fee before set time on day, to league.
League then text/email ref to confirm money transferred
league then BACS to referee post match.
yes its an admin extra work for someone but times chsnge.

I've only ever had 1 issue with BACS payments where the away team wouldn't answer any of messages etc. They were 1 team in a big club so I emailed the club secretary and quite bluntly expressed my disappointment in having to chase my match fee, 1st time i've ever had to do it and it gives the club a very bad reputation amongst referees. Fee was paid within 10 mins of my email, with an apology.

Only had an issue once, club always pays BACS nothing received a few days after the game. Sent one email checking they had my details. No response so another 24 hours later it was reported to the league and county FA.

Email sent by league and paid within 10mins after they threatened a fine!

Get used to it, cash payments will be gone sooner rather than later. Recently back from Norway and hardly anywhere there takes cash, we won't be far behind. Would you still want to be paid in cash if you can't spend it and will just need to go to a bank to pay it in?
Flawed logic there - if "you couldn't spend cash anywhere" it wouldn't exist!

Back