A&H

Newcastle disalowed goal

refdave83

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
I initially thought - WOW what a goal.
Then he disallowed the goal for off side I was like WHAT!

Then saw the reply - totally agree. The NUFC player was clearly in the way on the ball and was offside. If he had not moved out the way, it was DEF hitting him stopping it going in.

Def interfering with play.

Great decision.

The Referee Store
Twitter has been a bit mad talking about this. Looking forward to seeing the Motd highlights tonight

I was wondering how long it would take for this to come up - totally agree with @refdave83 - I feel sorry for refs when they have made a fantastic decision, but are crucified by ignorant pundits.

Newcastle fans will blame Jones for their loss, and not Remy who missed a one-on-one, which had the same effect as disallowing the goal, keeping the score at 1-0, not making it 1-1.

I don't think he interfered with play to be honest

I've only seen it once, with normal speed for goal and then 'photo' of the players' positions but from an angle that made a decision on obstructing the keepers view impossible

all i can add is that 1) the keeper didn't look too concerned as he watched the ball fly into the corner of the goal

and, 2) had it been a man city goal, the premier league ref would have probably allowed it

and 3) two 'l's in disallowed, but i'll let that one go :)

For me, I'd be giving the goal. I feel that he didn't distract the keeper and to be interfering with play, the LOTG say he must be "playing or touching the ball passed by a teammate" or "preventing an opponent from playing the ball, obstructing an opponents view or challenging for the ball."

IMO, he has simply moved out the way of the ball, it was a shot, not a deliberate pass.

There were three players offside, I reckon the one closest to the offside line prevented an opponent from playing the ball

But no opponent attempted to play the ball? There was no player near the ball possible to play it, so he didn't interfere with them

from this video footage it doesn't look as if the player 'closest to the offside line', the guy with Kompany if I understand that right, is preventing anyone from playing the ball

more importantly, shirt tucked in or not, the referee's signal after talking to the assistant makes him look like a complete twot, imltho, whilst his body language, head bowed, eyes averted, says it all really

Ok
I've now seen it on SSN, with dermot Gallagher.
I have to agree, it should have been allowed.

and, 2) had it been a man city goal, the premier league ref would have probably allowed it

I could not disagree with this statement more. For starters, if a Select Group Professional referee was to be bias towards a side, why on earth would they go against a home side as passionate as Newcastle? Did you hear the boo's that were ringing around the stadium after the decision? Newcastle have great and passionate fans and I have massive respect for Mike for such a big call. I can completely see why Mike gave the decision. I may be taking a rather light hearted comment too seriously, but how do us as referees expect players and fans to stop accusing some of the top officials of being in favour of big clubs, I our own referees feel the same? Mike is a professional, and I hope fellow referees feel the same as I have expressed in this post.

just realised that Mike Jones was the ref for the sunderland beach ball goal v liverpool

sheesh :(

Yes, but to be Fer to him (did you see what i did then :)), he seems to have got that decision right, albeit with a little subterfuge

I wouldn't say so. He found a get out clause, that still didn't really work. He said he hadn't blown his whistle, yet if you saw it on MOTD, they showed that he raised he arm and bent it, as if to say come on. I can't really describe the signal, but he signalled that he was ready for it, then made a quick get out clause!

Back