A&H

New v Bri

Viking

Are we all agreed that round kick was indeed dangerous? Don't know why Friend initially only thought yellow. Pleased for VAR.

The Referee Store
I thought it was harsh. It was a flick of the foot that I didn't associate with excessive force. The red card was a function of the unfortunate injury incurred

I thought it was harsh. It was a flick of the foot that I didn't associate with excessive force. The red card was a function of the unfortunate injury incurred

I could not disagree more. The red card is a function of him having kicked an opponent in the head. Its obviously not VC but read law 12:

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

He kicked him in the head. Okay, ref could have got away with a yellow if there is only slight contact but that is undoubtedly dangerous.

Red for me. Surprised the ref originally gave yellow considering he had a perfect view of the incident.

If a player's head is at head height (ie he hasn't ducked significantly) and a foot makes contact with it, the owner of that foot is probably going home early. There are edge-case exceptions of course, but as a general rule, if you're deliberately raising your foot that high, it is 100% your responsibility to make sure you do so in a safe manner.

There’s no way that I’m giving yellow for that, red every day of the week. Argue trying to flick the ball on or whatever as much you like, if you’ve managed to kick a player in the face when they are stood upright, the flick wasn’t sensible

I didn't expect much in the way of agreement. By chance, if Lewis hadn't been injured, the incident would've passed off with a probably caution
Not that fussed either way, but it is an example of how an injury influences the judgement. Admittedly, the injury would make it very difficult to keep the culprit on the FOP and MC might be interesting in the absence of a dismissal, but I just see it as an unfortunate outcome for both players

By chance, if Lewis hadn't been injured, the incident would've passed off with a probably caution
It's a bit like the various revisions to the handball law. Now, if you put your hands in places where they "shouldn't" be, then you run the risk of the ball hitting them and you getting penalised. Likewise, if you put your boot at a highly unusual height then you run the risk of it hitting parts of other players it shouldn't, with highly painful consequences for both parties involved!!

The force wasn't just excessive, it was extreme, you only have to look at how his head snapped back on contact. That really could have caused some serious damage, loss of sight, neck problems, people have even been killed from kicks to the head like that.

Yes it was accidental, but actions have consequences and players have a duty of care to other players.

Back