A&H

New to the whistle!

taref95

New to the whistle!
Hi everyone,

I've just booked onto the referee's course through Hampshire FA.

Just wanting some advice on the training course and any additional general advice you can give as I approach the other side of football. I am keen to progress as much as I can and be involved at a good level.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Regards,
Tom

The Referee Store
The group sessions in the course are designed to help you to understand how to handle situations which will occur when you referee.
It’s a mix of classroom and practical work, the latter including some minutes refereeing a game featuring the other course members.
After the two sessions you will be introduced to the Referee Appointments Secretary for your area, who will explain how to get games, etc.
It will equip you to referee games at an appropriate level.
There are various recent discussions on this forum which will give you additional advice.
Enjoy!

Hi everyone,

I've just booked onto the referee's course through Hampshire FA.

Just wanting some advice on the training course and any additional general advice you can give as I approach the other side of football. I am keen to progress as much as I can and be involved at a good level.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Regards,
Tom

What area in Hampshire are you from/will be reffing in? I've floated about the county for a few years so can give you advice about certain leagues.

What area in Hampshire are you from/will be reffing in? I've floated about the county for a few years so can give you advice about certain leagues.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the offer.

I am from Andover, Test Valley and I will be looking to ref youth football first and then open ages in the surrounding areas (Andover & District Leagues). I am keeping my options open and I'm willing to travel.

T
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the offer.

I am from Andover, Test Valley and I will be looking to ref youth football first and then open ages in the surrounding areas (Andover & District Leagues). I am keeping my options open and I'm willing to travel.

I used to live in Whitchurch a few years ago so know the area well.

The Testway Youth League would be a good place to start. There's quite a few teams in that area and 99% of the teams I came across were as good as gold! However, it does cover most of Hampshire so if you have a car and don't mind travelling I'd say it would be best.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the offer.

Drop me a line, there's a really good friendly refereeing community in the Andover area, some very good standard refs who are always happy to help support newer refs. They are a good bunch of lads!

Drop me a line, there's a really good friendly refereeing community in the Andover area, some very good standard refs who are always happy to help support newer refs. They are a good bunch of lads!
Cheers mate, I’ll be in touch once I have attended my training course.

Would you suggest for me to get in touch with the local leagues to get my names out there?

I’ll be doing the course on the 6th and 7th November
There is no Saturday League for Andover. It folded and the teams moved to either the Hampshire Prem (which you won't get appointed to straightaway) or to the Basingstoke league. That league has 2 divisions with a total of 15 clubs.

Other option for Saturday adult football is Southampton, there's 48 teams across 5 divisions of open age, plus 4 vets leagues with 30 odd teams in it.

Andover does have a thriving Sunday league with 3 divisions and 30 or so teams.

I know for sure that the Southampton Saturday league and the Andover Sunday league are short of refs most weeks, so if you choose to operate on those leagues, you'll definitely get your fair share of games.

Hampshire FA is really good and supportive. The Refs department is good as are the coaches.

Back