A&H

new referee signal

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
This season i have noticed referees in the football league with a new signal.

It involved pointing one arm forwards and the other arm doing nothing (a bit like pointing at the ball).

I have seen the foreign refs do this for a few years but have no idea what the meaning is.

Any ideas?

The Referee Store
Going to need a pic!
Or even better, a video.

This season i have noticed referees in the football league with a new signal.

It involved pointing one arm forwards and the other arm doing nothing (a bit like pointing at the ball).

I have seen the foreign refs do this for a few years but have no idea what the meaning is.

Any ideas?
What does the signal do. Do they stop the game after? Do they book any players? You really need to give more information. As you have described they could be just saying "ooooh, look at that" :)

But seriously, it could be a one handed advantage signal or just pointing that a player "got the ball" (as much as I don't like the latter).

I assume you are talking about the one arm advantage signal. It's supposed to be easier to use one arm when running but I like to use two arms when I can.

I assume you are talking about the one arm advantage signal. It's supposed to be easier to use one arm when running but I like to use two arms when I can.
Yeah, I think this is correct. Same as you, I feel the 1-armed signal can get lost a little bit - the big 2-armed advantage may have been marginally harder to run while using, but was also very clear.

Thank you for your replies.

I didn't realise there was a one-armed advantage signal. I think this is what i am seeing.

Most of the time, I still use the traditional two arm signal. The time I do use the one arm signal is when I’m in a full sprint and also want to keep my full line of vision clear. I’ll just use my left arm if I’m looking right and running full speed. I’d say I use the one armed signal once every 2-3 games.

I don’t think about the signal when I give it.
I just do what comes naturally in the moment.

Do any players actually look at the referee's advantage signal, know what it means, or care?

I think they should have an "advantage of the month" though.

Back