A&H

New Ref? Too old?

plusldn

Level 9 Referee
Hi all - Completed the online rules training and contemplating the face to face training. Main issue is am I too old, although 5 years younger than a few Premier League refs at 47? Another question is how you find matches to ref for the 5 or 6 you need to become level 7?

The Referee Store
Definitely not too old. Many people take a refereeing course at late 30's/early 40's because playing careers are typically coming a close. For the second one, just ask a few local leagues or clubs, they'll be happy to help due to the shortage of refs.

Probably better to describe how old you feel? I'm +50 and just started, and fancy myself playing if one of the teams are short of a goalkeeper :) . Only problem for me is I need reading glasses, so I need to write largish in my notebook.

It depends what you're hoping to get from it really. Too old to get to the premier league? Yeah, probably. Too old to work at grassroots and above? Definitely not.

And in terms of getting games, you'll be put in touch with leagues in order to get those initial 5 games, just keep in touch with them and ask for more.

Fairly fit and part of the inspiration is to improve on that. I would like to get to level 4/5 or a decent standard youth league for 4 or 5 seasons.. I think if I stayed at the level I actually played football at I would not enjoy it or stick with it. I decided to enrol on the basic course in early March and will take it from there.

Fairly fit and part of the inspiration is to improve on that. I would like to get to level 4/5 or a decent standard youth league for 4 or 5 seasons.. I think if I stayed at the level I actually played football at I would not enjoy it or stick with it. I decided to enrol on the basic course in early March and will take it from there.

You'll be able to be an AR at step 6 quickly, some step 6 leagues are so short that you'll be able to work on semi pro football as an AR almost straight away. To get to level 5 you will need to go for promotion next season and then again the following one. You'll be doing county league middles at level 5/6 so you can be at a very good amateur standard aftera couple of seasons.

Plenty of opportunity out there if you stick at it.

During the second session of the course there will be guidance about getting those first games.
This will include which games qualify as part of the first five.
Our CFA has run 11 courses so far this season, with people your age on all of them - enjoy your course😁!

Hi all - Completed the online rules training and contemplating the face to face training. Main issue is am I too old, although 5 years younger than a few Premier League refs at 47? Another question is how you find matches to ref for the 5 or 6 you need to become level 7?
Definitely not too old.

I didn't pick up a whistle until I was 47, exactly like you. I'm in to my 7th season and just got my level 3 in the mid-season promotions - that includes 2 Covid curtailed seasons with no promotion opportunity, so you can get to a decent standard reasonably quickly if it goes well and you have a bit of luck along the way.

You do need to be fit and I have to work harder at that than younger colleagues. But if you have a background playing, you will also have knowledge of the game and how to work with some of the characters you find in it, that younger referees have to learn. Incidentally, that will probably mean you have to learn how to think like a referee who understands players, rather than refereeing thinking like a player. That's a whole other subject and links to my final point of encouragement which is that at an age where you can't realistically get better as a player, there is still masses you can learn as a referee, whilst being involved right at the heart of the game.

In short you are not too old - go for it !

Definitely not too old.

I didn't pick up a whistle until I was 47, exactly like you. I'm in to my 7th season and just got my level 3 in the mid-season promotions - that includes 2 Covid curtailed seasons with no promotion opportunity, so you can get to a decent standard reasonably quickly if it goes well and you have a bit of luck along the way.

You do need to be fit and I have to work harder at that than younger colleagues. But if you have a background playing, you will also have knowledge of the game and how to work with some of the characters you find in it, that younger referees have to learn. Incidentally, that will probably mean you have to learn how to think like a referee who understands players, rather than refereeing thinking like a player. That's a whole other subject and links to my final point of encouragement which is that at an age where you can't realistically get better as a player, there is still masses you can learn as a referee, whilst being involved right at the heart of the game.

In short you are not too old - go for it !

With a name like that I remember you as a manager when I played local football in the North West? That makes 2 of us Quarry men who are referees! Congrats on level 3, to do that in 7 years is pretty phenomenal. Level 4 more than possible for anyone in that period but level 3 is alot more than just luck. I've seen some excellent refs down here who are stuck at 4

Thanks for the responses. Going to use the 5 weeks before the course to improve fitness.
A good bit of advice I read on here is paraphrased below...

The first time I used refereeing to get fit. When I came back the second time I got fit to referee. I was able to enjoy far more the second time round.

I'm 48, did the course before Christmas and now ticked off 15 games and really enjoying it. I've found this site particularly helpful in getting my head into the right place. Good luck!

It's a good point: it is not fun to referee in a game where you are not fit enough. When we are exhausted, we can't think as well, nor can we manage our emotions as well--both of which are essential to doing a good job as a ref

I started when I was 42, and I'm still going strong(ish), nearly 20 years later!

I do various middles - public school 16 - 18 year olds, Women's Nat Reserve League, Isthmian U18s/23s lines, some college games middles and lines and the occasional volunteer ref or AR role on whatever else comes up - County Cup or ad hoc games that county want volunteers for.

Up to 36 games for the season so far - all that without ever going for promotion.

As others have said the great thing about football in this country is that there are multiple levels/leagues/comps you can officiate on.

Just passed course at 67 and waiting for my first if 5 - first blew the whistle in mid 70s and dropped out (work) after many many years … so I’m claiming old “new ref” top spot - lol!!!

Not read all the replies but I am sure they are good advice. :)

Too old? The answer is within the question "why did you pick up the whistle?" If your aim is to become a EPL referee and make a living out of it then yes too old. If it is to give back to the game and make a little money on the way, get/keep fit, improve your interpersonal skills and hopefuly enhance your social life, then you wouldn't be too old even at 80. There are games for referees at every level.

Last edited:
Back