A&H

New Observer Report Level 4 2020

MFREF

Trying to find out what’s the general consensus with the new observer report at level 4.

are people finding there marks are higher/ lower compared to last year?

also has the average mark dropped to 70 as per the standard performance weighting now.

also are there any sub 70 scores

would be interesting to know peoples thoughts/experiences

The Referee Store
I haven't done any yet, but the training briefings is that - standard is 70. What is expected at this level as been slightly redefined, so expect more 7.0 in the three main categories than previously. If your performance is not better than the expectation, then you will get 7.0.

We also expect more sub 70 scores. The two test scores done indicated a drop in the average mark by between 2.8 and 3.5 per game. And don't think you can make up the marks by doing things tidely.

Alan Wickey said that a 74/75 now would be a rare as a 78/79 last year - you will need to have a brilliant performance to exceed 75 now.

I haven't done any yet, but the training briefings is that - standard is 70. What is expected at this level as been slightly redefined, so expect more 7.0 in the three main categories than previously. If your performance is not better than the expectation, then you will get 7.0.

We also expect more sub 70 scores. The two test scores done indicated a drop in the average mark by between 2.8 and 3.5 per game. And don't think you can make up the marks by doing things tidely.

Alan Wickey said that a 74/75 now would be a rare as a 78/79 last year - you will need to have a brilliant performance to exceed 75 now.
So we’re looking at like a 72 to be a good mark and a 73 to be an excellent mark ?
72- is the new 74/75
73- is the new 75/76

Had my first one, no major devs, and the observer said I had a good game and it was a 71.4 with a few above expecteds dotted around the competencies.
Last year I would have been gutted to get such a low mark but as has been pointed out the marks are going to be lower. The same problem they were trying to fix is still there, refs will still skip to the bottom to see the final mark, but less work for the observer to get there.
October bandings will be the tell tale sign as to how the marks are stacking up

October bandings will be the tell tale sign as to how the marks are stacking up

Since the change of the marking to align with the season, I don't think there will be October bandings. Also, there will be a lack of matches and observers, so I would expect the first bandings to be out around Xmas - a nice present to you all.

@JamesL - that is interesting, as some referees may have done only 2 matches and no observations given the late and weird start to the season. I would not trust the October bandings anymore that would trust Boris and Matt Hancock to oversee a drinking competition in a alcohol production establishment.

@JamesL - that is interesting, as some referees may have done only 2 matches and no observations given the late and weird start to the season. I would not trust the October bandings anymore that would trust Boris and Matt Hancock to oversee a drinking competition in a alcohol production establishment.
Haha.
Yeh, but it will at least show in the region of what the average mark is.. As it gets refs talking and comparing notes ;)
Should have fair few games under belt here, been going since Sept 12th. I will have 5 games by the end of the month with 1 observed. Very few lines down this way now. Only about 5 or 6 reachable step 3 and 4 clubs within reason for mileage so expecting mostly middles.with maybe a line or 2 a month or less.

Haha.
Yeh, but it will at least show in the region of what the average mark is.. As it gets refs talking and comparing notes ;)
Should have fair few games under belt here, been going since Sept 12th. I will have 5 games by the end of the month with 1 observed. Very few lines down this way now. Only about 5 or 6 reachable step 3 and 4 clubs within reason for mileage so expecting mostly middles.with maybe a line or 2 a month or less.

lucky you! we're only just starting up north. my first game is on saturday and some other leagues not starting till october!

i'f i'm lucky i'll have 3 games in by the end of october :(

Only about 5 or 6 reachable step 3 and 4 clubs within reason for mileage so expecting mostly middles.with maybe a line or 2 a month or less.
If you only have a few close teams, then you need to consider how many L3's do they need in your area! L4 to L3 promotion is still considered regionally, so more could come from one pool than another. It could be like in Yorkshire in the 1990's - dead mans shoes: You going got promoted if somebody above you in your area left. If all the L3 were "run of the mill" going neither up or out, you didn't get taken no matter how good you were.

If you only have a few close teams, then you need to consider how many L3's do they need in your area! L4 to L3 promotion is still considered regionally, so more could come from one pool than another. It could be like in Yorkshire in the 1990's - dead mans shoes: You going got promoted if somebody above you in your area left. If all the L3 were "run of the mill" going neither up or out, you didn't get taken no matter how good you were.
Yep. This is likely a consequence of the changing structure. L3s were doing step 5 where there are many more reachable clubs. There are 92 refs on the pool as we are now in with Devon and Dorset refs too. So finishing top will be more challenging any way due to increased competition.
We only have around 5-6 l3s in our county and one PL AR. But we always seem to have at least 1 promoted at least in the couple. Of years I have been here. We will see what happens I suppose.
Fully aware of the pitfalls of living rurally, but I won't be selling my house, changing my job and moving somewhere else on the off chance I get promoted to level3 in the future. I'll just keep doing my best and hope it happens when it happens.

Yep. This is likely a consequence of the changing structure. L3s were doing step 5 where there are many more reachable clubs. There are 92 refs on the pool as we are now in with Devon and Dorset refs too. So finishing top will be more challenging any way due to increased competition.
We only have around 5-6 l3s in our county and one PL AR. But we always seem to have at least 1 promoted at least in the couple. Of years I have been here. We will see what happens I suppose.
Fully aware of the pitfalls of living rurally, but I won't be selling my house, changing my job and moving somewhere else on the off chance I get promoted to level3 in the future. I'll just keep doing my best and hope it happens when it happens.
To be fair as the referee there are probably a lot more reachable venues. But with 3 travelling I can only see us being sent so far. Furthest I have been is Dorchester, 3 hours away, imagine 3 refs from west Cornwall, club would be fuming, and rightly so.

To be fair as the referee there are probably a lot more reachable venues. But with 3 travelling I can only see us being sent so far. Furthest I have been is Dorchester, 3 hours away, imagine 3 refs from west Cornwall, club would be fuming, and rightly so.

Unless it has changed there is an "equalisation scheme", so every club ends up paying the same in expenses over the course of the season.

Back