A&H

New Level 4 Advice

HullRef

RefChat Addict
Hi all

As is on another thread, the level 4 promotion emails have been sent out today (congratulations to everyone who got their promotion, well done!). I was fortunate to receive one myself and so I thought I'd start a thread for people to share advice/experience for us new lads.

I'd be grateful for anyone's opinions and help as to what's best to do going into this next season. Either from an Observer's point of view (i.e the most common mistakes you see new/young level 4's make) or from a refereeing point of view:
Anything that you wish you would've known going into your first season as a level 4? Or tips/advice that you think has helped you to get to level 3 or above?

The Referee Store
1. Enjoy it
2. Commit to it
3. Consistency - probably at the top of any club's checklist
4. Teamwork - work hard on it. It is vitally important. Likewise, your assistants are there to enjoy themselves too - treat them as part of the team, show an interest, make new friends.
5. Don't be arrogant - show an actual interest in the club, not a pretend interest. Speak to the club secretary, get to know them, get them on your side
6. Listen (to observers/coaches/clubs) and mould your refereeing style further. Don't argue with an observer, by all means have a conversation, but if it isn't going anywhere, don't be stubborn.
7. Don't be afraid to 'bin' technical area staff (exlc. phsyios ofc) - often referees fail to do this, in an attempt to salvage club marks. It can massively misfire though - some clubs actually WANT you to 'bin' them - that way the club have ammunition to discipline / take further action
8. Focus on your own refereeing - too many level 4s I know are too interested in others' seasons, that there's suffer as a result. Likewise, don't get the reputation as a 'gossiper'. Stick to your own refereeing, and avoid conversation about other referee's performances etc...
9. Admin - keep on top of it. You're better closing the date, than coming off a game because you didn't close it (often because one takes a risk and says 'na, I won't get an appointment then). Likewise, fire off any post-match paperwork ASAP, it prevents you forgetting about it.
10. Determination - there will be games where you think "why do I do this" - just keep on going, you got to level 4 for a reason.
11. Fitness - keep fit, it can only be advantageous to your refereeing performance

Congratulations @HullRef

I suspect that you will be appointed either the Yorkshire Pool (which covers the Humber, York and West Yorks Premier Divisions) or Division 1 of the NCEL. If the former, then HELLO we should meet during the year (@es1 and @Darius are on the pool list), if the later, the @Brian Hamilton could be your friend!!!

For your first season - LISTEN & LEARN. You will not make the jump in year 1 to L3, so take the first year to learn from everybody you talk to.

For the simplest advice, make no mistakes. The observing criteria can be brutal for missed RC & cautions, so do what is expected.
AND work on positioning. For my first few assessments for new L4, half the assessments comments could be positioning development areas.

Keep your MOAS up to date, If you have a close date do as soon as you can to help your appointment secretary.
This is a good point for this thread.
How does one go about obtaining access to MOAS? I cant even find it with a google search

Everything that drach has said is spot on.

I will say if you are good enough with Assessors marks and Club marks you have a great chance to go up even if it is your first year, Keep your head down and work very hard.

Keep your MOAS open as much as you can when you don't have a game go and watch one.

Well done mate.

This is a good point for this thread.
How does one go about obtaining access to MOAS? I cant even find it with a google search

The FA will send you a link very soon if anyone is having a problem using it just send me a message i will gladly help but it is very easy.

Cheers.

Congratulations @HullRef

I suspect that you will be appointed either the Yorkshire Pool (which covers the Humber, York and West Yorks Premier Divisions) or Division 1 of the NCEL. If the former, then HELLO we should meet during the year (@es1 and @Darius are on the pool list), if the later, the @Brian Hamilton could be your friend!!!

For your first season - LISTEN & LEARN. You will not make the jump in year 1 to L3, so take the first year to learn from everybody you talk to.

For the simplest advice, make no mistakes. The observing criteria can be brutal for missed RC & cautions, so do what is expected.
AND work on positioning. For my first few assessments for new L4, half the assessments comments could be positioning development areas.

Sound advice! Best thing I can advise is to read through the observation criteria and think of areas where you need to improve your game.

Going of today's bandings, if you want any advice when it comes to club marks, I'm happy to help, but go to @Darius if you want help with observers!

One thing you mentioned @lincs22 that isn't strictly true us that you can be promoted to 3, one first year 4 I've been with on several occasions this year has.

I'm now officially no longer a newbie to this Level 4 malarkey so here's my feedback and advice.

1. Enjoy it. I know how much work you've put in to get to Level 4. So enjoy it, you'll have a season of firsts I suspect. First County Senior Cup appointments, first FA Competition appointments (this year I had an FA Trophy line and a FA Women's Cup proper middle), I've gone as high as the Evo-Stik Premier as well and I've been to numerous Football League academies! Enjoy it.
2. Dream big. I agree with both es1 and lincs22 to be fair. You can get promoted as a new L4 however it is unlikely. Aim to be promoted though and do the best you can in every game. You'll earn their trust for the next time you have them when you have a fighting chance.
3. Assistants. They will come with differing experience and ability. Learn quickly who needs more guidance and who needs less. Be careful to not stifle them, be wary of others who will try to take control of your dressing room.
4. Observers. It's no longer nicey nicey. If you mess up you pay for it. I'm two pairs of undershorts away from finishing in A for Assessor's! Do your job properly at all times and you'll be fine. I guess learn lessons too.
5. Contrib. Its much tougher than Supply lining. Try get some PSF's under your belt to help.
6. Number 1 times a million!

Remember - keep MOAS up-to-date and remember Admin is key.. If you know you have a holiday etc - put it in MOAS...

Enjoy it and your notice it is a big step up.. In terms of expectation and quality...

Listen.

You might not always like what you hear but I guarantee the Observer telling you something will do it for a reason. It will be either to reinforce something you've done well or to try stopping you doing something before it becomes a career damaging habit.

Good luck, you will need it. Be aware, you will **** up. When it happens, don't look for someone else to blame. Take it on the chin, learn from it and move on.

Last thing, you are never as bad or as good as people tell you you are. Just be better each game and you'll be successful.

1. Pass the fitness test.

That's the only focus for now. The number of referees that have done all the hard work to get L4, then throw it away by screwing up the fitness test, is more than it should be.

I'm now officially no longer a newbie to this Level 4 malarkey so here's my feedback and advice.
I'm two pairs of undershorts away from finishing in A for Assessor's! Do your job properly at all times and you'll be fine. I guess learn lessons too.

Which band are you in for club marks if you don't mind me asking?

Id guess at B. I think the statement means that he lost marks as 2 players wore wrong colour undershorts.
It would be reasonable to assume that you'd be in B should you just be so close to A

Top of B (12th of 58) for Observers.
D (44th of 58 for Club Marks.

I got a 7.0 for application of law in a game where I had 9 yellows and a red because of the shorts. I'd assume I'd have got an 8.0 without it. Which would have put me up to A.

You live you learn.

Is they /58 bit just for referees who officiate in your league or your region etc?

On my Supply Pool (Yorkshire Pool).

Anyone who officiated West Yorkshire, Humber or York Premier League (or games in League Cups between teams from these divisions).

I got a 7.0 for application of law in a game where I had 9 yellows and a red because of the shorts. I'd assume I'd have got an 8.0 without it. Which would have put me up to A.

You live you learn.

That is not a bad result for your first season on the Pool. You have realised what the Observers are requiring and what mistakes can cost you, now to develop your style so the clubs appreciate you as a better referee. See you next season....

On my Supply Pool (Yorkshire Pool).

Anyone who officiated West Yorkshire, Humber or York Premier League (or games in League Cups between teams from these divisions).
Do you get the whole merit list sent to you, including where others finished or do you just find out your own position?

You live you learn.
What was your average assessment mark to put you there Darius? If you don't mind sharing of course!

Back