A&H

New Laws at the Euros

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Not had much of an impact yet.

In fact only one I have noticed, is that some teams are kicking ball backwards from kick off, giving them an "extra man", if you like, in play as it were.

Any examples, apart from this that you've seen?

The Referee Store
There's been a couple of offside freekicks taken from within the player's own half that I've seen
In which games - and when it happened, how did the AR indicate the position of the kick? I've been looking out for that one but hadn't noticed it yet. I haven't watched all the games in full though, I normally only watch one per day and just the highlights of the others.

I noticed that Olivier Giroud in the France vs Albania game was called back onto the field during play after changing his footwear.

One-armed advantage signal given in NI vs Ukraine yesterday. I thought it was confusing - there was a foul and it looked as if the ref had given the foul from his arm signal but play continued. Obviously there had been no whistle but in a really noisy stadium I can well imagine a defender stopping.

One-armed advantage signal given in NI vs Ukraine yesterday. I thought it was confusing - there was a foul and it looked as if the ref had given the foul from his arm signal but play continued. Obviously there had been no whistle but in a really noisy stadium I can well imagine a defender stopping.
That's the first thing I thought when I read about this change - it looks way too much like the signal for a foul.

I think there are lots of fouls going unpenalised and I think there is a lot of "spirit of the game" going on. How can the ref not whistle Cahill for a two handed hug 5 yards away?

I think there are lots of fouls going unpenalised and I think there is a lot of "spirit of the game" going on. How can the ref not whistle Cahill for a two handed hug 5 yards away?
I think the ref was a little lenient with his cards generally actually - one of the Slovakia players should have been in the book for a rugby tackle on Vardy and I think anything up to and including a red for Bertrand and his elbows could have been justified.

But I'm not sure it's accurate to blame that on "spirit of the game", which I understand to be more about letting grassroots football go ahead with wrong-coloured tape, or lack of flags on corner posts, rather than letting blatant cautions go unpunished....

We almost had the first new DOGSO / penalty decision yesterday but a free kick was correctly awarded and the irish player sent off.

Questions though, had the same foul been committed inside the box would you be sending him off as the tackle was so late i'm sure he couldn't possibly have played the ball?

We almost had the first new DOGSO / penalty decision yesterday but a free kick was correctly awarded and the irish player sent off.

Questions though, had the same foul been committed inside the box would you be sending him off as the tackle was so late i'm sure he couldn't possibly have played the ball?
Yes, I would say the player should have been dismissed even if the tackle had been in the area and a penalty had been awarded. For me, that was a cynical attempt to being down the attacker with no possibility of playing the ball.

Yes, I would say the player should have been dismissed even if the tackle had been in the area and a penalty had been awarded. For me, that was a cynical attempt to being down the attacker with no possibility of playing the ball.
Yes, but what would the great TV commentators says?
Since there knowledge of the Laws is gospel :)wow:), they would agree that since it was in the PA it couldn't be a sending off....

Given the penalties at the Euros, there is no triple punishment just a lottery on penalties (see Olzi):egg:

Yes, but what would the great TV commentators says?
Since there knowledge of the Laws is gospel :)wow:), they would agree that since it was in the PA it couldn't be a sending off....

Given the penalties at the Euros, there is no triple punishment just a lottery on penalties (see Olzi):egg:
aye, that would have been the first test of a referee's opinion being called upon as to whether it was intended as a legit tackle that went wrong or as a cynical effort.... the irish side of me said at the time that it was a hideous decision, but it was excellently executed unfortunately :)

And this is where the problem is. Other referees would see it as mistimed.
What about a desperate attempt for the ball that probably won't get the ball? Red card or not? Laws like this seem like those who have written the laws have never so much as seen a game of football.
We know that at the top level, anything that doesn't fall under the category of 'still mandatory red card' will be a yellow. The law will be abused as a 'get out of making a decision'.
Idiocy.
I reckon this one would be a yellow. It basically just means that as long as a defender can make his tackle look like it was a rough attempt at the ball, then that's good enough. Which is just encouraging cynical behaviour - players already know how to make a cynical or dangerous tackle and make it look innocent.

It would actually be incredibly helpful were IFAB to use this tackle as an example to help referees with their interpretation of the new law. It feels 'on the borderline' of a legitimate attempt to get the ball .. so which way should it be called (if it had actually occurred in the Penalty Area obviously!)? For me, there is enough doubt to go Yellow .. but I can absolutely see why others might feel Red

Back