A&H

New kid on the block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
New member of the Brethren in a few months, my son (aged 23) is taking to the whistle and getting qualified! He said he seen some of you lot at it and it can't be that hard!!! I'm in the quandary of letting the County FA teach him in there way or chipping in with my two penneth, the former is winning at the moment!!!

The Referee Store
New member of the Brethren in a few months, my son (aged 23) is taking to the whistle and getting qualified! He said he seen some of you lot at it and it can't be that hard!!! I'm in the quandary of letting the County FA teach him in there way or chipping in with my two penneth, the former is winning at the moment!!!

You won't be able to help yourself. You're a parent. ;) :D
He'll take on board what he thinks isn't rubbish and completely ignore anything else!

I'm very jealous of him, as you'll be able to help most with the stuff I really struggled in my first few matches, the off-pitch stuff. When to turn up, who to talk to, where to leave my bag, how to approach getting paid after a tense match etc. The FA course is pretty good at teaching the laws and how to apply them, but I did feel it left me a bit short in terms of how to "be" a referee early on.

I'm very jealous of him, as you'll be able to help most with the stuff I really struggled in my first few matches, the off-pitch stuff. When to turn up, who to talk to, where to leave my bag, how to approach getting paid after a tense match etc. The FA course is pretty good at teaching the laws and how to apply them, but I did feel it left me a bit short in terms of how to "be" a referee early on.

That's hopefully where the "mentoring system" should help. :)

Having never bothered with any thoughts of Promotion or any of that ****, there are lots of things i have maybe missed out on. I'm sure there is far more help now than ever before. I purposefully went under the radar of any promotion scheme as I have business interests that takes up the vast percentage of my time. Im sure most of you lot take it far more seriously than me away from the pitch, training, seminars, mentoring, fitness tests etc.. There are a few refs on my league that quote levels etc but the managers know that when theres a tough game to referee they all make the one phone call (no ref sec in this league).

That's hopefully where the "mentoring system" should help. :)
Sure, but my mentor couldn't get out at the same time until about the 4th match, by which time I was starting to work that stuff out myself.

Having never bothered with any thoughts of Promotion or any of that ****, there are lots of things i have maybe missed out on. I'm sure there is far more help now than ever before. I purposefully went under the radar of any promotion scheme as I have business interests that takes up the vast percentage of my time. Im sure most of you lot take it far more seriously than me away from the pitch, training, seminars, mentoring, fitness tests etc.. There are a few refs on my league that quote levels etc but the managers know that when theres a tough game to referee they all make the one phone call (no ref sec in this league).

Points in bold; no.1: Absolutely. I started in 1999, and the attitude was "You're a referee now - off you go." So much more support and that's a massive positive.

No.2: You still travelling as much? If you hit Northampton or Milton Keynes ping me and we'll make good on that 11-year old 'we-must-meet-up' commitment!

Probably better to let your son, follow CFA guidance initially. Once he struggles, you can shownhim your man management skills in demanding matches.

The difficult matches is where you can definitely help him, given the reports of your matches posted on RF.

Has you son joined this forum, we may need what history we post about you.

I'd let him find his own way as he starts out, but be there to offer advice and support where it's needed, and sometimes where he thinks it isn't.

After all, you need to be cruel to be kind.

He should get mentored on at least 2 of his six games, but depending on availability in your area I wouldn't hold my breath.

When I qualified I had to arrange my own mentor as none of the coordinators were replying to emails. Unfortunately I couldn't get anyone from my local RA to come down, but my girlfriends dad is a ref so he came down for the majority of my first 6 games.

Points in bold; no.1: Absolutely. I started in 1999, and the attitude was "You're a referee now - off you go." So much more support and that's a massive positive.

No.2: You still travelling as much? If you hit Northampton or Milton Keynes ping me and we'll make good on that 11-year old 'we-must-meet-up' commitment!
Yeh, I was in Daventry the other week and also that massive old train depot near Milton Keynes (Wolverton). Met quite a few over the years, Ant, SiD, Sam, Snams, Mewcenery, Essex Ref, Minty, always a good crack chewing the fat and having a blather.

Last edited:
Sure, but my mentor couldn't get out at the same time until about the 4th match, by which time I was starting to work that stuff out myself.

I know what you mean. The most interaction I ever had with my "mentor" was a phone call. :rolleyes:

In fairness, I was referring to the more recent set-up that's currently taking shape in collusion with the RA. :)

Better still send him up to West Riding and we'll teach him proper. If he pops up in late May/early June, he can benefit from my "wisdom".

As for meet-ups, I'll be in Northampton for the RA Meeting either in October or November - guest speaker :)

Better still send him up to West Riding and we'll teach him proper. If he pops up in late May/early June, he can benefit from my "wisdom".

As for meet-ups, I'll be in Northampton for the RA Meeting either in October or November - guest speaker :)
Do you offer subtitles for the Southern Brethren? Not sure they would understand ye Bri?

I remember an old ref sec (now deceased) on a Sunday calling me after a management meeting of the leagues. He was chuckling reciting a tale where i'd sent in my cards etc and we had to do a separate report to them if any teams played up etc... Well, I got Team kn0b v Team knobbier every week (at his bequest) and my card count was quite, well very high, i'm not sure what the other refs did but I wasn't putting up with any crap. Well, Managers of recent teams stand up one by one berating 'the new Mike Dean' and saying I was a tosser etc, so he read out my detailed reports about each team and incidents one by one and they were all laughed out of the meeting!.. It was them not me!!! Got me some nice brownie points after that and they all took me seriously and didn't play up as much!!

If a lifelong southerner like me can understand what dert, wert, caart and nerz kern mean then I'm sure the rest can too.

That's don't, won't, can't and the pointed end of a rocket for the rest of you. Hull dialect :D

If a lifelong southerner like me can understand what dert, wert, caart and nerz kern mean then I'm sure the rest can too.

That's don't, won't, can't and the pointed end of a rocket for the rest of you. Hull dialect :D
Good Job Brian doesn't have to get up and sing... Maybe a bit of Craig David sang in a Wakey accent!!....
'Met this lass on Mundi, Tuk 'er forra ale on Tuesdi, Bit a 'ow's thi favver b'Wensdi, N on Thursdi, n Fridi, n Satdi, Carvery on Sundi"

Good Job Brian doesn't have to get up and sing... Maybe a bit of Craig David sang in a Wakey accent!!....
'Met this lass on Mundi, Tuk 'er forra ale on Tuesdi, Bit a 'ow's thi favver b'Wensdi, N on Thursdi, n Fridi, n Satdi, Carvery on Sundi"
I don't sing Wakey like. I get told by Cas that I'm from Leeds, by Leeds that I'm from Mancland and by Mancs that I'm a Scouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back