A&H

New grassroots ref

JamieRayner8

Hi,
I refereed a game today and in the heat we all agreed to have a drink break midway through the second half. I restarted play with a kick off would you guys say this is correct or can you advise me if there is any better way to restart play

The Referee Store
I think you are meant to restart according to the last decision/ball out of play action occurring.

So if it went out for a throw, you restart with the throw-in and so on. So, if you had the drinks break after a goal had been scored, then I think you were correct. Otherwise.

When they say mid-way through the half they don't mean literally. Don't manufacture a break in play, rather wait for the ball to go out or play to be stopped, ideally at an injury situation where there would be a break anyway.

When they say mid-way through the half they don't mean literally. Don't manufacture a break in play, rather wait for the ball to go out or play to be stopped, ideally at an injury situation where there would be a break anyway.
This is good advice.
As a matter of interest I checked the laws to see if the referee can stop play for drinks break. Strictly speaking it seems not (unless you consider it outside interference). Anyway if you do stop play for drinks break, the restart must be a dropped ball from where it was when you stopped play.

Reference to 'stoppages for drinks' is made under 'allowance for time lost', Law 7

I think you are meant to restart according to the last decision/ball out of play action occurring.

So if it went out for a throw, you restart with the throw-in and so on. So, if you had the drinks break after a goal had been scored, then I think you were correct. Otherwise.

I got something right today then both captains asked for a break & I restarted with a free kick in defensive half the last phase of play before the Break.

Yeah, I did drinks breaks in my match yesterday: both captains asked for it pre-match and the one in the first half really helped to take the sting out of a match that was threatening to get spicy. In both cases, I waited for a dead-ball between 20 and 25 minutes through each half - and in both cases, a throw on around the half way line seemed like the perfect opportunity to do so.

Only issue was caused because one team manager clearly forgot to stop his watch and was astounded that I managed to get to 3 minutes added time in the first half!

Better yet, try to wait for a throw-in on the bench side of the pitch. It helps get the match restarted quicker. If you're playing 45 minute halves and you have a throw-in near the benches at 21:30, then stop the restart and do the drink break then.

I did drinks break and about half way through the half when the ball went out near the half way line I blew up, then restarted with the throw.

Hi,
I refereed a game today and in the heat we all agreed to have a drink break midway through the second half. I restarted play with a kick off would you guys say this is correct or can you advise me if there is any better way to restart play

I did a game last weekend where I gave them a drinks break in both halves. I notified both captains before KO that there will be one on 25 minutes, or as close at possible to that point during a break in play, providing it's not in an attacking area. First half was a goal kick, second half was after a goal and both restarts were as if the game had continued as normal

Back