A&H

"New" Drop Ball Law

Russell Jones

RefChat Addict
If the ball hits the referee in one of the penalty areas, then is this automatically a drop ball to the defending GK or is it theoretically possible (in law) for the game to continue?

The Referee Store
Play stops when the ball hits the ref only if it causes a change of possession or results in a promising attack. So yes, play could continue.

Could go out of play in which case GK/corner restart which is essentially play continuing

And off course the anomaly of going out of play by going directly into goal rebounding of the ref in which case we all accept its a dropped ball but according to the wording of the law its a goal.
Eh? It days if ball goes directly into the goal its a dropped ball, that's what the law says?

Reactions: one
Cheers for all your great responses. So, is this a correct summing up for the possible options when the referee is hit by the ball in a penalty area?:

Ball goes in the goal or a promising attack is started or possession changes : Dropped Ball. In all cases the DB is to the defending GK

Ball goes out of play: Restart is as it would have been if the ball had not hit the referee

In reality, I can't picture a credible situation where the ball stays in play and yet possession doesn't change or a promising attack started .. but in law, it sounds like play on is theoretically possible

Cheers for all your great responses. So, is this a correct summing up for the possible options when the referee is hit by the ball in a penalty area?:

Ball goes in the goal or a promising attack is started or possession changes : Dropped Ball. In all cases the DB is to the defending GK

Ball goes out of play: Restart is as it would have been if the ball had not hit the referee

In reality, I can't picture a credible situation where the ball stays in play and yet possession doesn't change or a promising attack started .. but in law, it sounds like play on is theoretically possible

Its prob never going to happen but at a stretch, a short goal kick, maybe taken quickly with ref still in pen area and rolls to its intended full back target, or even less likely, gk taking goal kick and it hits ref whilst he is still in pen area and bounces back to gk?

Its prob never going to happen but at a stretch, a short goal kick, maybe taken quickly with ref still in pen area and rolls to its intended full back target, or even less likely, gk taking goal kick and it hits ref whilst he is still in pen area and bounces back to gk?
Yup, good thoughts. Though even in these cases, if the referee is still in the area, then likely attackers are also there or thereabouts so it'd be a brave / foolish call to play on!

Could the GK pick the ball up in the case where it has hit the referee?! And, if not, can you imagine the s**tstorm if you gave an IFK against
them? :eek:

Yup, good thoughts. Though even in these cases, if the referee is still in the area, then likely attackers are also there or thereabouts so it'd be a brave / foolish call to play on!

Could the GK pick the ball up in the case where it has hit the referee?! And, if not, can you imagine the s**tstorm if you gave an IFK against

Wont happen to me this season at least, i hardly go into the box full stop!

so will keep those thoughts where they belong, mentally filed in whats left of the brain

Nope as it hasn't been played by another player.
I would like to think in Anubis' case would all do the same thing and that is simply order a retake of the GK.

Presumably the main reason a ref might be in the PA is to administer a drop ball in the first place? So I suspect the most likely scenario for this is that you've stopped play for an injury, gone to drop the ball to the GK and he's attempted to play a quick pass (either long to an attacker, or quickly out to a full back if he's being pressured from an attacker who is at least 4m away) and hit you as you've started to retreat.

I don't think the fact you've been hit "directly" from a drop ball changes any of the restart options though?

A likely scenario is in general play by a defender, hits ref and goes to another defender. It should be play on. Tough one if it goes from an easy possession or clearance to a under pressure possession.

A likely scenario is in general play by a defender, hits ref and goes to another defender. It should be play on. Tough one if it goes from an easy possession or clearance to a under pressure possession.
For me, it's going to have to be very clear possession by defender to not just give a DB on this--I'll be more focused on SOTG than letter of the law here. (Which I think is consistent with how we've see these calls in professional games.)

Perhaps a more plausible no-call is a an attacker crosses the ball, which bounds off the R towards the touchline, where an attacker is able to chase it. There is no immediate attack, but the attacking team retains the ball. That fits both the letter and spirit of the law to continue, as the alternative is giving the ball to the defense.

Even more reason not to enter the PA during an attack!
That isn't what is taught, at least certainly not in Englan. It is expected that, when the need arises the referee follows the play into the PA.
You just have to be smart about where in the PA you go, hanging around on the penalty spot will do you know favours but coming on from the outer quarters of the PA should be relatively harmless and might just give you the angle you need for that KMD

That isn't what is taught, at least certainly not in Englan. It is expected that, when the need arises the referee follows the play into the PA.
You just have to be smart about where in the PA you go, hanging around on the penalty spot will do you know favours but coming on from the outer quarters of the PA should be relatively harmless and might just give you the angle you need for that KMD
Yes, absolutely. The competency I've prospered from the most in my 5-to-4 observations, has been 'enthusiastically penetrating the box'

Back