A&H

Need more challenging games

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
This is my first full season and I want some more challenging games. I had that game a couple of months ago with my first red and a handful of yellows, but since then all my games have been really easy and haven’t got the cards out once. Not that it’s a bad thing, but that challenging game has helped me learn more than any of the recent games put together. How do I go about getting more challenging games, as I plan to go for promotion in the next couple of years and want more challenging youth games before I go into adult.

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
Good advice from SF as ever above! Might also be worth sending a message to your refsec politely asking that you would love to be challenged were there to be any difficult games coming up? Failing that, perhaps look at a different league?

I used to get a call in the week from my Sunday refsec, He’d generally looked through the fixtures and spotted the trouble game at the R’send of the divisions that had history or potential for bother. That was my Sunday babysitting challenge! And they wondered why I’d got a high card count!! 😥I never got the chance to ref the choirboys as they got the promotion seeking boys or the old stalwarts!! I actually preferred a bit of action!!

I used to get a call in the week from my Sunday refsec, He’d generally looked through the fixtures and spotted the trouble game at the R’send of the divisions that had history or potential for bother. That was my Sunday babysitting challenge! And they wondered why I’d got a high card count!! 😥I never got the chance to ref the choirboys as they got the promotion seeking boys or the old stalwarts!! I actually preferred a bit of action!!
Yeah, I definitely prefer action over an easy game with not many big decisions, makes me better too. Had a good start with a yellow in my first game of the season (u12) after the player on his final warning boots the ball away and then a few weeks after that game with the red. Hopefully I can get some good’ens in 2019 and I can wear my new red shirt which I treated myself to for Christmas...

Scott Carson got a comedy yellow for a throw down of the ball in front of the referee, seemed quite close to the refs face from a distance I saw it. Took ages to administer, I thought he’d forgot it in the melee. These cards are easy, easy sell, easy administer, if it’s its second then what an idiot!

This is my refereeing life. Always preferred the busy games, still do :)

This is my first full season and I want some more challenging games. I had that game a couple of months ago with my first red and a handful of yellows, but since then all my games have been really easy and haven’t got the cards out once. Not that it’s a bad thing, but that challenging game has helped me learn more than any of the recent games put together. How do I go about getting more challenging games, as I plan to go for promotion in the next couple of years and want more challenging youth games before I go into adult.
Start open age!

The first 10 minutes, give a pen in a no contact good challenge. Make the game about you. Stop the game every 30 seconds. Give a couple of unjust yellow cards.
The rest of the you will be challenged like you have never been challenged before.

Of course I am kidding :). Good advice above by fellow forumites.

A former late colleague of another Forum would tell me tales of his skullduggery in spicing up crappy games, as @one says, a harsh penalty, a push somewhere that would normally be let go, all these can spice up a dreary game, they don't even have to know.... Not sure if a jump to OA is quite the step just yet but keep it in mind!!!

Also something that has just come to mind - use those ‘easy’ games to make sure everything in your game is as good as it can be, especially positioning. You can really afford that extra 10 yard sprint in those slightly easier games, make sure you’re in the best position possible. You never stop learning when it comes to positioning

Also something that has just come to mind - use those ‘easy’ games to make sure everything in your game is as good as it can be, especially positioning. You can really afford that extra 10 yard sprint in those slightly easier games, make sure you’re in the best position possible. You never stop learning when it comes to positioning
Yeah, positioning is definitely the thing I’ve been trying to improve in these games

Yeah, positioning is definitely the thing I’ve been trying to improve in these games
How many games have you done?
Age group distribution of the games? Many Division 1 games? You must be 18 or just over, right?

Mike Dean would have been awesome on some of my more challenging games, starts 11 v 11, finishes 7 v 7!!!

Back