A&H

Nani Red Card

The Referee Store
The first VAR still was pretty damning. He took the ball but then straight legged the opponent’s ankle. With VAR it’s an easy red. Unfortunately the player’s reputation might not help here as he is probably an “easy player to send off.”

Without VAR I can imagine this being missed. So, well done to the ref for calling it.

Difficult situation though as in football we still have the feeling that if you win the ball then whatever happens next is less important. Of course, that’s not the laws and this is a red card excessive force endangering the safety offence.

Yes red for me. I don't understand how Nani was protesting even a yellow knowing what he'd done. And at least a yellow for the mobbing of the ref after the red card decision.

The commentators lost me when they called it a clean tackle.

The first VAR still was pretty damning. He took the ball but then straight legged the opponent’s ankle. With VAR it’s an easy red. Unfortunately the player’s reputation might not help here as he is probably an “easy player to send off.”

Without VAR I can imagine this being missed. So, well done to the ref for calling it.

Difficult situation though as in football we still have the feeling that if you win the ball then whatever happens next is less important. Of course, that’s not the laws and this is a red card excessive force endangering the safety offence.
Not sure Nani has a 'reputation' ...

I agree with your other points though... Clear SFP when broken down on the VAR monitor. Tough to see in real time.

It's a very obvious red card - how the MLS Independent Review Panel has rescinded that is beyond me.

Red card if VAR wants to constantly look at things inb slow motion
Yellow card in the real world
Correctly rescinded
Not sure what all the crying is about. Ah bless

If a locked leg contacting a planted leg above the ankle with speed at a downward angle isn’t a send off, then what is?

First of all, I didn’t see anything in real time. On the VAR you could see the contact (wish we could’ve seen a better view of it though)
I can see why it’s been given as a red card. For me though, it’s certainly ambiguous and my heart is saying yellow (is it really excessive force?)
On a side note, the reactions are ridiculous. Hope the ref booked all those Orlando players for dissent but the worst reaction was Nani using the waterworks after being sent off. Also those commentators were appalling. Not only did them seem to lack knowledge on the game, but accusing the “young referee” of bias (they strongly hinted at it) and their insistence of it being a clean challenge (there’s no disputing it’s a foul) was ridiculous as well

First of all, I didn’t see anything in real time. On the VAR you could see the contact (wish we could’ve seen a better view of it though)
I can see why it’s been given as a red card. For me though, it’s certainly ambiguous and my heart is saying yellow (is it really excessive force?)
On a side note, the reactions are ridiculous. Hope the ref booked all those Orlando players for dissent but the worst reaction was Nani using the waterworks after being sent off. Also those commentators were appalling. Not only did them seem to lack knowledge on the game, but accusing the “young referee” of bias (they strongly hinted at it) and their insistence of it being a clean challenge (there’s no disputing it’s a foul) was ridiculous as well
In the Pro Game, Dissent is downgraded to 'didn't happen', OFFINABUS is downgraded to Dissent and there's no criteria for dismissal that I'm aware of
Ang guess what? Players on a Sunday morning expect to be afforded the same favours, because that's what they see on the tele every day!

I can see the argument on why it is not SFP, based on the level of force, but I continue to worry that the pendulum has swung to looking for excuses not to give red cards. I think a few years ago, this would have been supported as a proper send off. Do we need serious injuries to swing the pendulum back?

I never posted my opinion straight away, but I personally think it’s a red card for SFP. Catches his ankle, leg straight, you could say excessive force but it clearly endangers the safety. Shocked it was appealed

I wouldn't want to be the only person in the Stadium to have seen SFP, especially when it took slow motion to reach that conclusion
Tother end of the spectrum, (in the absence of slo-mo-VAR) if no foul had been called, the only person who may have noticed is the Assessor and that's only because they scrutinize every single incident (probably using frame-by-frame replays)

Last edited:
This incident was covered on Inside Video Review this week (3.57 in video) -

PRO's view was the red card was incorrect as there was not excessive force.
What is excessive force? "Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and/or..."
this for me clearly exceeds the necessary use of force.

the fact that this does not cause serious damage is luck. It's straight leg studs on a planted leg.

What is excessive force? "Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and/or..."
this for me clearly exceeds the necessary use of force.

the fact that this does not cause serious damage is luck. It's straight leg studs on a planted leg.
If it's extremely difficult to spot in real-time, I'm struggling with the whole 'excessive force' thing

I won't be losing any sleep over this Nani crying business
Boot on the other foot stuff, if there was UEF, it wouldn't be beyond imagination that I'd be the only one that missed it! That's the way I lean

It's a very obvious red card - how the MLS Independent Review Panel has rescinded that is beyond me.

Unfortunately, the IRP is pretty much a farce. They do a great job of making sure players continue to play and do next to nothing to support MLS referees.

I'm not saying MLS referees are outstanding, but they are not nearly as bad as the IRP would lead you to believe.

As for the foul, I'll continue to say it. It's a send-off. It's a locked leg making contact above the ankle of the plant leg with Nani's leg at a downward angle so more of his weight is behind the action. It endangers the safety of the opponent. I get the force is not that excessive, but the angle of the leg and the locked nature of the leg at contact means the force will be greater than if the player is sliding along the ground. people can debate the amount of speed all they want, but this tackle needs to be SFP. If this type of tackle isn't SFP, then what is the bar?

Back