A&H

My new refereeing career

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Im 42 and going into my first season as a referee.

Ive done about ten games so far, all friendly matches and surprised how comfortable i feel out in the middle.

Any new refs i think this is a major attribute, obviously it helps if you're older but being confident in the middle is a massive bonus.

Ive not had major decisions to make to date, one game which i would normally have issued a red card for SFP i let it go (rightly or wrongly) because it was a friendly.

Ive had very little back chat from players, coaches or parents, am i kidding myself to think this will change when it starts for real next week ?

One other thought, ive played, coached and scouted and have to say i get that buzz about going the game to referee which i never thought i would, i thought at the time bit of extra cash and a bit of fitness but really enjoyed my short time in the middle.

The Referee Store
Its the age old duck legs under the water, as long as you appear calm and confident on the outside, then certainly that goes a long way to benefit your game

Things do tend to change when there are points at stake, cups to be won, scouts to impress and so on, but if you apply the principles that you have so far, then you wont go far wrong.

Any ref will tell you, in any game, you are just one bad tackle away from carnage though, so never let your guard down, and, I find important, drive home having enjoyed your game, afterall without the enjoyment, whats the point

Yes very true, i know there is going to be times when i might not have the best of games and maybe get things wrong but its important to dust yourself down, think about how and why you went wrong and move on quickly.

I think also you have to tell yourself that a lot of the time no matter what decision you make one team coach/manager/supporters will think you're an idiot and incapable.

Yes very true, i know there is going to be times when i might not have the best of games and maybe get things wrong but its important to dust yourself down, think about how and why you went wrong and move on quickly.

I think also you have to tell yourself that a lot of the time no matter what decision you make one team coach/manager/supporters will think you're an idiot and incapable.

Its safe to say a decent ref will make fewer mistakes out there than the players, but it can be like being a goalie, you can have a good game then last minute, you fumble a trundler/miss offside, and thats how your game will be remembered...

Very much so, the key is getting the big decisions right, a goal kick instead of a corner at 0-0 will be forgotten generally but that big 50-50 penalty in the last minute at 0-0 wont be (by one side anyway)

Very much so, the key is getting the big decisions right, a goal kick instead of a corner at 0-0 will be forgotten generally but that big 50-50 penalty in the last minute at 0-0 wont be (by one side anyway)

Am not fussed if I miss a maybe handball at the half way line, or if I blow too early for an offside 40 yards out, sure I want to get everything right but I can still sleep easy on those ones but yes indeed, ask me to make the dogso at 0-0 and I like to think I get it.

I think something ive learnt quickly is like playing, you know when you have had a good game or bad/average game or indeed made an error.

Only a minor one last night but gave a pull of a shirt and blew too quickly, team would have had advantage, instantly i knew and was a bit disappointed with myself as its an area of my game i think ive been good at.

I think something ive learnt quickly is like playing, you know when you have had a good game or bad/average game or indeed made an error.

Only a minor one last night but gave a pull of a shirt and blew too quickly, team would have had advantage, instantly i knew and was a bit disappointed with myself as its an area of my game i think ive been good at.

Shirt pulls are risky, as the offended player trying to break free already has arms being unnaturally held back, thus when he breaks free/tries to break free, there is a natural movement which can double up as a elbow to the opponent. Very easy to justify giving a fk and not advantage at a shirt pull. Safe option

I'm smirking a bit because my guess is, yes, it will change when it starts for real!
Expect the unexpected.
I feel exactly the same about the buzz, pocket money, fitness equation :) Enjoy!

Back