A&H

My Blood boils

The Referee Store
the vid description says "Young referee breaks down in tears due to the insults of fans and had to leave the pitch. ". There is a bit of finger pointing at the start but the point is no one deserves to be made to feel that way for offering to referee a game. How good/bad he was is beside the point but he couldn't have been that bad if he gets the encouragement he did afterwards.

Probably going to upset people here....but what’s new?

I’m of the firm belief that part of being a referee is having a thicker skin than most.....that doesn’t mean that you are there to be abused, but it seems that there is a growing trend, especially for younger referees that any criticism of them is labelled abuse......

It’s also a very noticeable trait that young people of today simply aren’t used to being told anything negative so they massively overreact when anyone dares suggest they aren’t very good or that they have got something wrong......

Back to my initial point......as a referee you need to be able to let the noise from the peanut gallery pass you by....and that starts with youth football......refs need to learn ignore the rubbish that comes from the parents.....concentrate on the rubbish coming from players and coaches.....learn to filter out what you can ignore and what you need to act on.....

One of the reasons that young referees are so utterly unprepared for the reality of OA is that youth football is becoming a sterile place where they rarely, if ever, hear protests, complaints, or anything that is a negative opinion on their performance......

Yes, referees need to learn, need to be able make mistakes without fear of being lambasted.......but, there also needs to be a learning process where they learn what to listen to/for so they know what/when they have to act.

No ref should be reduced to tears, totally unacceptable but as has been said....we don’t know what the bigger picture was.......hopefully he got good support and advice afterwards.

We don't have a clue what happened here. For all we know he could have had bad news before the game but gone out and refereed anyway. There could have been a bad injury in the game that upset him. And any other number of things.

Probably going to upset people here....but what’s new?

I’m of the firm belief that part of being a referee is having a thicker skin than most.....that doesn’t mean that you are there to be abused, but it seems that there is a growing trend, especially for younger referees that any criticism of them is labelled abuse......

It’s also a very noticeable trait that young people of today simply aren’t used to being told anything negative so they massively overreact when anyone dares suggest they aren’t very good or that they have got something wrong......

Back to my initial point......as a referee you need to be able to let the noise from the peanut gallery pass you by....and that starts with youth football......refs need to learn ignore the rubbish that comes from the parents.....concentrate on the rubbish coming from players and coaches.....learn to filter out what you can ignore and what you need to act on.....

One of the reasons that young referees are so utterly unprepared for the reality of OA is that youth football is becoming a sterile place where they rarely, if ever, hear protests, complaints, or anything that is a negative opinion on their performance......

Yes, referees need to learn, need to be able make mistakes without fear of being lambasted.......but, there also needs to be a learning process where they learn what to listen to/for so they know what/when they have to act.

No ref should be reduced to tears, totally unacceptable but as has been said....we don’t know what the bigger picture was.......hopefully he got good support and advice afterwards.
101496.jpg
If only the youngsters could learn to use the force wisely!!!!!

Makes perfect sense to me Mr P!!!!!

Back