A&H

Multiple Games

JBeil

Level 5 Referee
Simple question - when you have multiple games in a single day, what do you do with your downtime to keep yourself in good enough condition? Last year I did youth games after sunday league, which wasn't too difficult provided I wasn't on a 3G, but this year I'm helping out on a ladies' league in the afternoon and I'm wondering if I'll be able to manage the distances throughout the whole day. I'll have about an hour and a half, minus travel time, between the fixtures.

Cheers!

The Referee Store
Regularly do 2 on a sat and 2 on a sun sometimes even 3, mainly youth games. Biggest issue I've found if planning where I'm going to have a wee without being spotted in a bush!

Personally I avoid doing more than 1 game a day.

This is because I have to put 100% into every game, and if I put 100% into my morning game then my performance in the afternoon game wouldnt be good enough for me.

However, make sure you refuel and rehydrate, and also have a rest if time allows.

I usually do two games on Saturday, play Sunday morning then another game Sunday afternoon. Usually there aren't huge gaps between them like you've said, but if they are I just go home and chill. Never had a fitness issue at all, my legs are dead Sunday evening though, and take a couple days to heal but I don't have any games early midweek. As I progress I will lower my games to one a day.

I researched and experimented A LOT with sports nutrition and modified it to suit my body best. I always have water with a pinch or two of salt in to replace electrolytes (none of the fancy SIS type stuff needed for me, it didn't alter my performance compared to salt water). I was also having a breakfast of leftover pizza on Saturday morning and that fuelled me perfectly throughout the day even though it sounds terrible compared to other refs porridge and yogurt selections. Now have gone zero carb, love experimenting with nutrition and how it affects sports, my body and life in general.

Back