A&H

Most cards you’ve shown in a single match?

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
What’s the most amount of cards you have shown in one game? How many yellows, how many reds, how many sin bins?

The Referee Store
Sadly a cup final. 12 yellows, a red, and a manager sent off. One team wanted to play football, the other wanted to kick them off the park, one of the hardest games I've ever refereed.

Also had a contrib game with 11 yellows and a red, local Essex derby where they hated each other and it was a complete nightmare.

And another Essex derby, Concord vs Billericay, multiple cautions and one off from each team. The managers were Danny Cowley and Craig Edwards (most South East based senior referees will tell you what a nightmare he can be, see image below), and they clashed at half time in a big way. Had to get them both into my changing room to read the riot act, and in fairness they stayed apart for the second half.

1618263420082.png

Last edited:
10 yellows and 1 Red in the second half of a Sunday League game.

The red came after the game with the players manager who is still a qualified Reference told him to shut up and go away at least 6 times but he wouldn't head the warning

Most cards I've had overall in a game was 8 yellows and one red back in 13/14. Had five yellows and three reds in a match in October, and another one in 13/14 with three reds but only one yellow.

Most sin bins I've had in one game was last season - away team had five yellows, three of those were sin bins... each side had a man sent off too, and as the away team turned up with a bare 11 and had a player go off injured, it was 10 v 7 at one point! (Oh, and that was a Step 5 game🤦‍♂️)

7y 4r and an ambulance. Brilliant game. Not nasty either. U16 Iber Cup "semi final" in Spain on a pitch that was a little too tight for players of this /speed/age/ability level. Early DOGSO, double blatant SPA, another easy double yellow... it was non stop action, but the only serious flashpoint came after the 12 minute ambulance break. The losing captain went in two-footed and took out two players for an obvious SFP. The ambulance was needed for a staff member who passed out and collapsed from the half way line onto the field - just to add to the drama. Drove away conscious thankfully.

Thanks to Referee Abroad and a pair of brilliant assistants for this one. I sang " 4 red cards and an ambulance" all the way back to the hotel on a bus full of young referees from around the world ;)

5Y and 5R followed by an abandonment in an U18 game. Pretty horrendous game with a few yellows before a mass confrontation led to 5 reds (3 for throwing punches and a further 2 for OFFINABUS).

10 yellows, one of which picked up a second as well - 5 to each side, of which 4 of the home side's were dissent (pre sin-bin)and all of the away side's were either SPA or delay of restart as they were the underdogs, got an early lead and then spent all match doing anything they could to hold onto it.

Away team were good as gold, even when they had a player sent off for a second SPA he just accepted it, said "I had to do it to stop him" and walked off happily. Home side, unsurprisingly, were awful, but smart enough to share the constant dissent around.

Come your not even trying. I was on the.line to Mike Riley (yes.him) and on the last game of the season it was 10 y and 2 reds (of which one was 2y).

My own 8 y and 2 r , most of them in a brawl... I had no space left in the book, and this was before teamsheets 😀

Last season Sunday league match 10 yellows including 4 sin bins and a red for one of players who was sin binned earlier in the match and a red for an assistant manager calling me a cheating b*****d.

Come your not even trying. I was on the.line to Mike Riley (yes.him) and on the last game of the season it was 10 y and 2 reds (of which one was 2y).

My own 8 y and 2 r , most of them in a brawl... I had no space left in the book, and this was before teamsheets 😀
In the days when reports had to be handwritten in duplicate for each caution and each dismissal?🤔😁

Seven in one match is my biggest haul. 3 red and 4 yellows. Based on some of the stats I'm reading here, I must be pretty good at keeping a lid on stuff. :D

In the days when reports had to be handwritten in duplicate for each caution and each dismissal?🤔😁
Mine was, except the county i was reporting to wanted them in triplicate and on certain coloured report forms. I rang the county on monday morning and had to explain that my reports would be late. They werent having any of it and said that they needed to be submitted by the Wednesday at the latest. 9 red cards, all in triplicate (Photo copies not accepted either) and all requiring an essay being written as it was a mass brawl, think i finally got them finished by the friday after the event. I then did a 160 mile round trip to drop them off. Wasnt risking them going missing!!

WGS is a godsend now!!

Back