A&H

Monaco v Nimes -- Player Pushes Referee

The Referee Store
I went nose to nose with a few players over the years, some which I regret but I can’t ever remember any pushing anything like that. I’ve wrestled fighting players apart as a physical block etc but thankfully never got that above. Verbally yes, full on, but never physically!

I there a first push from Gelson not shown on this clip? Because the clip doesn't show an offence by Gelson before he gets the red.

Good decision for the RC for the challenge.

I am looking and thinking the referee could have got out a bit earlier away from the players to give himself a better view and make any aggressive movements and further dissent by action more obvious by players moving towards him...

Hmm... we could debate minor observations with regards to the refereeing. I'm not keen on the thrusting of red cards in showman like fashion, but there's nothing to condone the behaviour of the player. SFP was correctly identified and the second player was appropriately dismissed for the first push. The punishment will be unduly lenient and the overall message these incidents send to players at grass roots is a concern

I there a first push from Gelson not shown on this clip? Because the clip doesn't show an offence by Gelson before he gets the red.

Good decision for the RC for the challenge.

I am looking and thinking the referee could have got out a bit earlier away from the players to give himself a better view and make any aggressive movements and further dissent by action more obvious by players moving towards him...
There's a weird cut in the clip, but it looks to me like he makes the "TV" gesture, suggesting that the RC was given as the result of a VAR review. I think that would explain his relatively leisurely attitude towards the challenge initially, as if he did see it, it's a perfect opportunity to go steaming in with the red showing to try and diffuse the situation?

If you watch right to the very end of the clip, it shows replays of the initial push as the first red is shown. Very minor push as pushes go (and compared to the second one!), but still definitely deserving of a red and you can see from the referee's reaction in that replay, he knows straight away that he was going to need his red card again!

I looked up the reddit thread for it, since that has a full video of everything, compared to say, The Independent that dummies in a goalscoring highlight reel, just to be extra clickbaity. And every other website being geolocked.

Anyway, there's another thread, sans video, where the suggestion is an 8 match ban. Don't read it. It's full of people saying 8 months is excessive for 'pushing' a referee. They are completely ignoring any potential knock on effects of not being strict on this sort of offence, but that doesn't surprise me.

Back