A&H

Minute silence

refdave83

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Thankfully, never happened to me, but just food for thought.

A player for whatever reason refuses to do a minute silence and is shouting and trying to talk to other players.

What action, if any would you take. YC for USB, RC for
using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures ??

The Referee Store
Don't think there is much we can do about it. This would never happen. Even if a player for whatever reason refused, if his whole team were doing the silence....im sure he would just stand at the side of the pitch.....his own team mates would surely be fuming if he started kicking off about it.

Reactions: SM
Yesterday I'm fairly sure there was a few from one team chatting away...just gave them a disapproving look

I was at an ice hockey game last night in Edinburgh and they done the minute silence. Half way through someones phone starts blaring the Imperial Death March from Star Wars. Everyone was in stitches.

I was at an ice hockey game last night in Edinburgh and they done the minute silence. Half way through someones phone starts blaring the Imperial Death March from Star Wars. Everyone was in stitches.

That person is a t*t, as was anyone laughing.
I find it hard to believe in a city of such military tradition as Edinburgh this lad wasn't challenged.
I'd have certainly let him know my feelings on the matter had I been there.

As for the OP, this would result in a YC minimum for me and I'd be amazed if I didn't find a way to give him another one during the 90 mins.

In what way could talking through a minutes silence be regarded as 'unsporting' :rolleyes:

A referee setting out with the intention of getting someone sent off during a football match, now that is definitely unsporting :(

That person is a t*t, as was anyone laughing.
I find it hard to believe in a city of such military tradition as Edinburgh this lad wasn't challenged.
I'd have certainly let him know my feelings on the matter had I been there.

As for the OP, this would result in a YC minimum for me and I'd be amazed if I didn't find a way to give him another one during the 90 mins.

The fact it was so quiet then to hear the death march was pretty funny. The guy wasn't challenged as he was a disable war vetran who attended the game. Does not seem much of a tit to me....more that he had forgotten to turn off his phone and really likes star wars. Be interested to see what feelings you would have told him now you know this?

Also yeah there is no way you can yellow card someone for refusing to be quiet during a minute silence.

I think Darren got the top answer earlier on this topic; you wouldn't need to intervene, his team mates would likely sort it out for you.

Thinking about it, the referee has no jurisdiction over people taking or not taking part in a minutes silence. You signal the start and end (because you have a watch and whistle) and that's your job done.

Leaving your phone on is an honest enough mistake, in the correct circumstances most ringtones can be funny, it just seemed everything just clicked that day.

Not sure why im posting this on a refereeing thread though...

Small world. I was in Edinburgh this weekend and went to see my first ever Ice Hockey match. Chap who's phone it was looked in a right fluster trying to get the thing to silence.

The fact it was so quiet then to hear the death march was pretty funny. The guy wasn't challenged as he was a disable war veteran who attended the game. Does not seem much of a tit to me....more that he had forgotten to turn off his phone and really likes star wars. Be interested to see what feelings you would have told him now you know this?

Also yeah there is no way you can yellow card someone for refusing to be quiet during a minute silence.

Crazy as it seems, I turned my phone off before the minutes silence at Old Trafford on Saturday.
Unless this person has some obvious impairment that would affect his ability to turn off a phone, I would have probably gone with "turn your phone off you f*cking idiot".
A veteran should know better.

I was always under the impressions "Unsporting Behaviour" is so generically worded for a reason. Because it's the umbrella offense that everything that doesn't fall under the other cautionable codes can be put under.
And if you think I can't issue a card for someone shouting during a minute's silence you are dead wrong.
This makes me sound like a little hitler, which is not the case. Just keep shut for one minute a year and I'm quite pleasant

let's not forget that we're talking ice hockey here

'turn your phone off you f*cking idiot' is probably as polite as it gets

Back