A&H

Minute of silence before a game

J79

Are there rules or instructions about holding a minute of silence before a game? Can the referee deny a request or he has to allow it when a team asks for it?

The Referee Store
Denying it can be damaging to match control and integrity. If asked approach the other manager so you can agree as a group - involve the captains too if you can

Handled well you can start very positively, handled badly and you could be in for a tough 90

A lot of the time the request will come from the league/association, so it would be advisable to comply
If you mean when you say, are given the team sheets the team(s) ask for one then even hypothetically, I cannot think why you would not carry it out, I suppose in an made up situation where a team were adamant it should be held for something you totally thought was inappropriate you could carry out the silence and send a letter to the relevant league, either that, or simply pick up your kit and go home. Something like a min silence is about decency and respect, rather than a referee's discretion.

Over the years I've had several silences. Often it may be requested by the league/association but I have had several occasions when it has been requested on the day by one or both teams. I've never had an issue with any of the requests nor have any of the teams involved. It would have to be a rather unusual situation where I would not be happy with comply with such a request, I can't even imagine such a scenario.

When it comes to a moment of silence pre-game, let me know well before kickoff. Don't come and tell me at the kickoff.

If I know 15-20 minute before kickoff, we'll adjust the pre-match timeline, and still kickoff at approximately the same time. If you come up to me as we're readying to actually kickoff, the likelihood of having that moment of silence is almost nil.

Was asking because there seems to be an inflation of minutes of silence in the last years. At top level, that is. With a little exageration, you might soon have more games with than games without a moment of silence.

For ex-players and youth players, of course. For the son of a board member, the brother of a player, the mother in law of the team delegate, the oldest season ticket holder. For a terrorist attack in ..., for an earthquake in ... . Football becomes more global, so clubs have fans all over the world, so they want to show they care for their local tragedies too. And if one club does it, then of course other clubs follow, because you don't want to appear insensitive.

It's all very sad, but sometimes you think: is a football game the right place for this? Is it still relevant for the club and their fans? And if there are so many, doesn't it take away the impact of the really important ones (for example former players)? It's of course a delicate subject, and no one wants to be the one that says "maybe it's better not to do this".

Last edited:
Simple.

Team A asks you before the game, you say "I have no issue as long as the other team agrees" (if it's not a league sanctioned one). Ask Team B, if they agree, go ahead, if they refuse you tell Team A that the other team refused and you can't compel them to do it. You've done your bit and Team A is unhappy with Team B, not you.

Simple.

Team A asks you before the game, you say "I have no issue as long as the other team agrees" (if it's not a league sanctioned one). Ask Team B, if they agree, go ahead, if they refuse you tell Team A that the other team refused and you can't compel them to do it. You've done your bit and Team A is unhappy with Team B, not you.

It's actually more simple than that. Team A ask for a minute's silence so I tell Team B we're doing it and we do it. I don't feel clubs ask unless it's someone very close to the club and really doesn't happen very often and team B almost certainly won't object.

I was asked to hold one by the home team in Sunday league back along as they had lost one of their player a week or so before. Agreed providing the away team agreed (lets face it, they were never going to say no). Its a scenario where you look excellent for agreeing or having everyone hate you for saying no. You don't have to agree, but I would say it's a no brainer really

Reactions: J79
What a strange thread. What would possibly make you want to say no? Whether it is for a player, an earthquake, a terrorist attack or the home team captains hamster. It is a mark of respect, something that referee's bang on about all day long. Again, i dont really care when i am asked, the day before or 5 minutes before kick off, you want to have a silence then go ahead, its a minute after all, cant see it disrupting an awful lot.

On a lighter note, we had a Liverpool game on the TV and the two teams were having a silence for Hillsborough. The teams as they often do now all put their arms around each other and stood around the centre circle in silence. My 8 year old daughter then came into the room:

What are they doing Dad?
They are having a minutes silence for Hillsborough.
Oh right, i thought they were having a stare off!!!
:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
if theres a silence being observed on a game i'm watching on TV i will observe it also. Last time that happened i ended up having a row with my mrs, when she walked in the living room and i didnt answer her question... i gave her the wide eyes and the zipped mouth and she walked out before i could explain what was occurring!
Last sunday i was asked if we could have a minutes applause for the end of mental health awareness week by the home side, as several of the players have relatives that suffer. Opposition manager thought that was a great idea and we cracked on. No reason not to in my view, or anyone elses that was present.

It's actually more simple than that. Team A ask for a minute's silence so I tell Team B we're doing it and we do it. I don't feel clubs ask unless it's someone very close to the club and really doesn't happen very often and team B almost certainly won't object.
This is genuinely the only post that this thread needs.
As a referee, don't stand there and judge the reasoning on it. If it's important to one team, respect that.
You might think it's silly that a team in Colorado, USA wants to hold a minute silence for Manchester, but there may be a personal connection you don't know about.

Who cares if it's becoming more prolific? Don't even consider refusing it. And don't ask the other team - heck, if the other team had the 'right' to deny that minute silence than that could be a great way to get under that team's skin before the game!
Tell them it's happening and just do it.

Good to see the Wednesdayites on here observing a week of silence. They were so chirpy and ****sure before it was as written in the stars... has to be their year soon, mind you, they were chirping that they were massive in 2000!

Back