A&H

Member as a player

one

RefChat Addict
Is there anyone on this forum who is a player only? Not referee, never has been and not interested in being one.

The Referee Store
Its okay. I was interested to know if we ever get 'pure player' opinions at this forum. For me it is very important to factor that in. Although most of us have played, still play or been involved with playing at some stage the perspective changes when we start refereeing.

Oh that's for sure.
I used to be a gobby little ****e when I played and, bear in mind I was 16 when I took up refereeing, used to give refs an earful all the time. Used to think I knew it all.
Although I played a handful of games in adulthood, I referred more and realised how much of a pain I actually was.
Remember turning up to a tournament one summer and some older refs were like "are you joking, you're a ref now".

Reactions: one
I'll admit to it. Although, I only joined recently, and am going to be taking my Level 4's in Australia this summer (next couple months), which is why I joined, so I could sort of get a read-in before I actually start.

Reactions: one
Welcome mate. Not exactly the breed I was looking for as a 'pure player'. You are here with a refereeing interest but all contribution are good :)

Where about in Australia? Fellow Aussie here from Sydney north west.

Last edited:
Welcome mate. Not exactly the bread I was looking for as a 'pure player'. You are here with a refereeing interest but all contribution are good :)

Where about in Australia? Fellow Aussie here from Sydney north west.
Riverina initially, but now based in Canberra

I've only just started reffing at 41, 10 games in but played 11 a side from the age of 10 starting out for a local side in Germany where my Dad was serving in the forces. One of the things I have struggled to deal with in the progression from ref to player is the 'biting' I give back to players which probably isn't acceptable as a ref, it doesn't always happen but it's something I am working on. I still play now and again in the the Cheshire Over 35's League though, it's hard to give up playing completely

Back