A&H

Max Power?

The Referee Store
Total stab in dark, esp from someone not in the country in question
Is it maybe cos Checktrade Cup is not under same auspices as other FA tournaments, given its a football league cup already with restrictions on Premeirship involvement?
Total clutch at straws.

It ultimately means that the Checkatrade Trophy is an inferior competition and it would be unfair on all the other League 1 teams if the game counted towards Max Power's suspension, as it's quite likely he wouldn't be selected for the game. To judge fairness overall, it's important to also look at it from Sunderland's rivals perspective

So let me get this right. It's 3 League one games he has to skip but until he serves those he can't play anywhere else either. So in effect if this suspension was in the last games of the season, it could be a 2-3 month suspension? Not sure how that works.

It sounds ridiculous the way it’s written but as @Big Cat says check a trade trophy is essentiallly a reserve league cup. It’s borederline a friendly and full of U23 teams. It should not count as time served...but I could actually see logic in letting him play it. Not being able to play and not having it count as time served seems a bit flawed.

I was of the impression that if you were suspended, that is from all footballing activity.

If a senior player is suspended can they play for the u23s? Can an u23 player who is suspended from PL2 play for the first team?

I doubt it, I imagine that same logic applies.

If you get sent off in an U23 game you can still play in the Premier League, im sure Adam Lallana was red carded for the 23s last season but was still allowed to make his normal 7 minute appearance in the first team.

If I'm correct, Notts County have faced a similar situation after Dan Jones was sent off in L2 on Saturday. He is suspended from all football until the first team have completed 3 League games

As WilliamD alludes to, it is because of the presence under 23 teams in the competition. If games in it were used to complete suspension games teams could play suspended 1st team players in those games to speed up their return. Before U23 teams were added last season games in this competition did county towards suspension games.

Back