A&H

Match today after break - some advice needed please

Jono333

Level 9 Referee
Hi all!
It was my 4th game today and my first after a break since February! Under 15s match

First half went really well, don’t think I managed to make an error all half touch wood. However my positioning needs significantly improving. I kept finding myself both in the centre circle and in the way!!

Second half a lot more difficult. Home team were 3-1 up and were ‘time wasting’ the reason I say this was the goalie always took his 6 seconds, for goal kicks he always moved the ball to the other side of the 6 yard box to where it went out. Players were walking to take throw ins etc. I blew my whistle a few times to speed things up but o think I should have dished out a YC to get the message out which I didn’t.

There were lots more fouls but I managed to get the two yellows correct (1 delay restart 1 reckless play) I believe. I kept getting shouted at for pushes in the back etc but I didn’t see anything to be deemed an FK

Three incidents for 2nd half which I may have got wrong.

Firstly a goalie kicks it out of his hands and then the attacker from the other team and him have a verbal exchange, I stopped play but once I had spoken to them (I whistled to stop and have a word with them) I restarted with the goalie kicking it again but the CAR went mental as I blew after he kicked should this have been a dropped ball and if so where from? From the where the ball dropped?

Secondly, there wer a number of times where the attacker was right on the goalie from corner balls, pushing and shoving etc, I had a word with them but as the player wasn’t obstructing enough so the keeper couldn’t continue his game until I let this go. Should I have blown up?

Thirdly, swearing on the pitch. I did hear lots of swearing but no insulting language (one of the players said f***** cheat, but I couldn’t guarantee who this was aimed at and whether it was me or what. There was no context around who or what it was aimed at should I have said ‘who’s that for’ should this have been an RC despite this? Home team were ‘wasting time’ at this point so could have been aimed at them or anyone?

In regards to the swearing the wife or assistant manager for away team came over and said that there was a lot of swearing with kids around and apparently one of the Home team players called the assistant manager a see you next Tuesday. Obviously if I had heard this he would have been sent off, but as I didn’t I couldn’t do anything. Should I be aware of the swearing and is there anything a ref should be doing to control this more generally?

The other thing I need to improve on is after stopping for an incident I need to remember what happened before I whistled. For example the caution for kicking the ball away I signalled to take the free kick from there but obviously I had already given the free kick before that so I looked stupid. I also am too casual about where they are taking the free kicks from I need to be much more strict on the positioning of the ball

A lot going on second half so any advice greatly appreciated

The Referee Store
Plenty of points there, will try to answer most of them

1) Timewasting - GK taking only 6 secons from hands is actually pretty rare in that situation - they usually try and take a lot longer!With that and the other time wasting, use the ask, tell, caution method. After the tell let everyone know the next time you're going to card and not warn.

2) GK and forward altercation. Unless you're going to caution or you think violence is imminent, wait until ball out of play and try to warn them 'on the run' and THEN go and speak to them.

3) Swearing - discussed lost on here with views ranging from 'Its OFFINABUS' to 'Its fine, I'm not interested' If YOU think its getting too much, too loud, too personal - again ask, tell, act.

4) Restarts - that will come with experience. Just say to yourself - 'Blue free kick' before dealing with cautions etc. If you DO totally forget, you'll often find the players will know and get on with it themselves!

5) Free kick positioning - despite players and spectators getting hung up on it - you don't need to. For defensive free kicks (in own half) unless miles away and/or taking quickly to gain an unfair advantage - let them get on with it. Closer you get to gaol the more fussy you need to be

6) Corners - Before ball in play, a nice public warning, if it continues when ball in play award fk/pen - its an easier sell then as everyone knows they have been warned.

Hope that helps.

Just all normal stuff given this was only your 4th game. You just need games, practice and the experience of learning from these mistakes. I've done over 70 games and there's never a game goes by without something new comes to mind
Regarding swearing in that age group, just make sure they know whose in charge and that they'll be punished if it gets out of hand. Don't hesitate to take a firm approach with this sort of nonsense

Back