A&H

Mark Halsey

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Thoughts?

DgxvcGqXkAAkhJr.jpg

The Referee Store
Absolutely awful. Especially now you can bet on number of cards etc. Disgusts me

This is the sensible refereeing that refs wouldn't be able to do if their mics were broadcast to the public. He knew the guy wanted a yellow so he gave him an opportunity that didn't involve him kicking the hell out of an opponent and potentially starting a brawl.

When you have yellow card accumulation rules, players will try to work their way around them.

This is the sensible refereeing that refs wouldn't be able to do if their mics were broadcast to the public. He knew the guy wanted a yellow so he gave him an opportunity that didn't involve him kicking the hell out of an opponent and potentially starting a brawl.

When you have yellow card accumulation rules, players will try to work their way around them.
I'd be skeptical about this claim, but if it did happen, the player should have been reported rather then obliged. There are integrity implications such as spot betting

Last edited:
Could he not of said if you want a yellow & do something to deserve a yellow that’s down to you.

Good luck enjoy the game.

This is the sensible refereeing

If there's anything I wouldn't describe this as, it would be sensible. Idiotic maybe.

Could he not of said if you want a yellow & do something to deserve a yellow that’s down to you.

I agree with your point, maybe not 'do something to deserve' though, that sounds like encouragement to potentially injure an opponent.

Easiest yellow in the world ever to achieve is pull a players shirt to stop them running.

Do it anything near or past half way & your going in the book, the dumb nut didn’t need to ask for one just pull a shirt and your in the book.

Easiest yellow in the world ever to achieve is pull a players shirt to stop them running.

Do it anything near or past half way & your going in the book, the dumb nut didn’t need to ask for one just pull a shirt and your in the book.
I thought that as soon as I read it, why would you even ask and risk the referee reporting you? There're tons of easy YCs to be had...

More than half the time when this happens in grassroots, there is retaliation. At least where I referee anyway.

I'm with @cwyeary the best way to get a yellow is kicking the ball away. Actually delaying the restart in a throw in is also pretty good. The guy is going to get himself booked anyway. Why not make it easy for every one. I wouldn't have put in the same way as Halsey put it. A simple "I can't book you unless you do something bookable, like kicking the ball away after a free kick". That way you are not instructing him, you are just letting him know how its done.

The story is from a time when being deliberately booked was a norm and known by leagues. Most leagues now outlawed it and have additional sanctions for being booked deliberately. If it happens nowadays, the response should be "don't do anything silly", and report the conversation to the league.

Last edited:
I didn’t say I’d advise him to pull a shirt I just said it’s an easy way to get booked.

I think there are both smart and stupid things in this story. Smart is coming up with a non-dangerous way for the player to get himself booked. Stupid is not reporting it the second he walked off the pitch, and then having not reported it, telling the world 10 years later!

Back