A&H

Mansfield v Cheltenham

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee

Busy night writing up reports after that lot!! Thoughts on the decisions?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Yeah, no arguments with any of those decisions. I also thought the second red was a really good example of when a "quick card" can be a really useful tool - and why it's a shame it's not considered acceptable practice at our level.

If he'd tried to position himself between the offender and the victim's teammates, I doubt it would have calmed down as quickly and if it had become a real mass con, he wouldn't have been able to see anything. A quick card satisfied the teammates that justice had been served and stopped it escalating further. And he didn't even have to get too close to administer it, meaning he could have stepped back and got a clear view if anything did kick off.

Reactions: one
The tackle on the goal line was an absolute horror tackle!! he should have sent himself off after that one!!

Reactions: one
teammates
Yeah, no arguments with any of those decisions. I also thought the second red was a really good example of when a "quick card" can be a really useful tool - and why it's a shame it's not considered acceptable practice at our level.
j

Great point. I have used the quick card on occasions. I remember on a 4-5 assessment when a striker landed his second punch on the opposing keeper, I was first there with the red card and on that day it worked. The rest of the players accepted it and the striker walked. The assessor hated it though. Would I do the same again? In a similar scenario, dead right I would.

Good overall refereeing.

Pen call was good. First red is hard to see, presumably for a stray elbow. Possibly a caution to No 7 yellow for running in for an aggressive push or at least a very firm public warning. This would have possibly stopped the retaliation for the second red.

Second red was an easy decision and he managed the red card delivery well. No. 2 white should have been cautioned but I don’t see how he can justify consistency if he cautioned him there.

Third red card was a clear elbow to the head and no issues with the end decision. Although it looked like he wasn’t going to sanction when he called the foul. The process didn’t quite look right. There is a break in the clip. It would have been interesting to see what happened in that break.

Back