A&H

Manchester City v West Ham

bloovee

RefChat Addict
So - Aguero put through on goal. Ogbanna grabs him by the balls and hauls him to the ground. AR has flagged for offside. VAR decision? AR's wrong call means it's not a penalty and RC.

Now is this some obscure bit of the VAR protocol, or can I indulge in some fan-forum stuff?

The Referee Store
Got any proper footage that shows the build up?

If the assistant flagged for offside before the foul occurred, then it's not a penalty.

If the foul occurred before the assistant flagged offside then the penalty should be awarded.

Whether he is offside to start with, and whether VAR can over rule a potential incorrect offside is another matter entirely.

Got any proper footage that shows the build up?

If the assistant flagged for offside before the foul occurred, then it's not a penalty.

If the foul occurred before the assistant flagged offside then the penalty should be awarded.

Whether he is offside to start with, and whether VAR can over rule a potential incorrect offside is another matter entirely.
Can't find clip of whole incident.

Why are EPL ARs flagging for offside in these situations?

Can't find clip of whole incident.

Why are EPL ARs flagging for offside in these situations?

AR's are still allowed to flag for offside if they believe it wasn't a tight decision. In actual fact, the AR got this wrong and he was onside but as he flagged then the foul occurred, the offside is awarded as it was first in the sequence of events and essentially, there's no potential penalty decision to make

As already stated by @QuaverRef ARs in the EPL are still allowed to flag for offsides. They are only supposed to hold the flag if it is a tight call, then VAR can make a ruling.
Are the ARs getting these decisions wrong being chastised?

Or do we just accept they won't be going to the World Cup?

Are the ARs getting these decisions wrong being chastised?

Or do we just accept they won't be going to the World Cup?
Dunno mate, I don't work for PGMOL.

Mistakes happen, and they happen to all teams at all levels of football. It's a fact of life that we just have to accept.

Dunno mate, I don't work for PGMOL.

Mistakes happen, and they happen to all teams at all levels of football. It's a fact of life that we just have to accept.
It seems to be not a fact of life but PGMOL policy to not make mistakes on giving offside with VAR but encourage mistakes that VAR then can't correct.

Do these stupid rules allow a referee to allow play to go on even if the AR has flagged to see what happens but not give a penalty that should be awarded when that's what happens?

This is starting to get into the realms of fan forum conspiracy theories.

Mistakes happen, it is a fact of life and all teams suffer and benefit because of them.

I don't see how you have come to the conclusion that there is some sort of PGMOL policy that encourages mistakes that VAR can't correct.

The referee is entitled to overrule the AR and not award the offside that has never changed.

Question has been answered, mods should just lock this as you won't change your mind on this as it's part of the conspiracy against City you believe in.

Did the offside happen before the fondle? I take the offside was wrong
The ARs are still marked on every offside call, so it's not their fault because they have to ignore the fact that VAR are policing the same thing. Shambles

Did the offside happen before the fondle? I take the offside was wrong
The ARs are still marked on every offside call, so it's not their fault because they have to ignore the fact that VAR are policing the same thing. Shambles
There was no offside. What is the protocol that says a wrong offside can overrule a correct penalty?

i dont think the question has been answered at all

the flag was raised for offside

aguero was then fouled

ball ran through to the keeper and ref played on/advantage acknowledging the flag.

you could say it's not a clear and obvious error but i'd disagree, it's a clear foul on the refs blindside

another one from the game which deserves a mention on a completely separate subject...

later in the 2nd half city player has a cross shot and it looks to go out for a goal kick but it spins back into play and rolls towards the corner flag.

ball boy picks it up.

the interference takes place after the ball he clearly left the area (by a good 5 yards)

surely the correct restart is a drop ball to city (as we were technically in possession when the interference took place) and certainly not a drop ball to the keeper inside the penalty area?

The question was answered, if the assistant flags for offside (and isn't over ruled by the referee) and then a foul occurs then it is not a penalty.

The fact the referee played advantage (which I wasn't aware of) shows the referee did not over rule his assistant, and would have chosen to award the IDFK for offside if there had not been an opportunity to play advantage.

However, this does beg the question whether VAR can go back and review the incident as play wasn't stopped for the offside and treat it as a missed incident.

Back