A&H

Ladies Managers

DB

Referee, Observer, Mentor, Player
Level 5 Referee
Refereed a ladies game this afternoon. absolutely no issues whatsoever. Very easy game to referee.

Anyway, the home team are 5-0 up going in at the break with a full squad and bench, playing against a side who have a bare 11... Anyway, I blow for half time and the manager approaches me...

Throughout the first half, there were a number of foul-throws. Now, you don't expect to see such a basic error the higher up you go, but when you blow for the foul throw, people often wonder what happened.

"Ref, I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job, but are you trying to coach the teams and give them tips"?"
"Excuse me" I reply, "What do you mean"
"Well, every time there is a foul throw, you are telling the players why it's a foul throw and how to correct it, that's coaching. You are wasting time".
"Okay, whilst I appreciate your feedback, I like to explain my decisions to the players when I need to. If there is a foul throw, it is not always as obvious as a foul, a handball etc or anything that I can give that everyone sees. Now, I am not coaching, I simply say to the players why the decision was given; "you released that ball too early, both feet lifted from the floor, you stepped onto the field". Now, in a half where there has been multiple foul throws, I'd like to think you'd be the one explaining to your players what it is they are doing wrong. If you'd like to talk about time wasting, maybe I could tell you about how the 14 substitutions you made during the first half had an effect on the time? Now, I do not tell you how to do your job, please do not try and tell me how to do mine".
*Blank face*

It does annoy me when you get people question your style of refereeing. I like to explain my decisions when they aren't so obvious, more often that not. Anyone else get told this sort of thing?

The Referee Store
coaches will try anything to get into your head ignore them. and if they start to annoy you deal with it

Too right. That's why I took the time to shut him down. He had nothing to say after that. They have to try I suppose

Last edited:
I very rarely give a foul throw. I've got no interest whether someones foot is off the ground, much more action can happen from two players competing for the ball.

I very rarely give a foul throw. I've got no interest whether someones foot is off the ground, much more action can happen from two players competing for the ball.

Surely that can only lead to problems?

Surely that can only lead to problems?

Not really, if anyone moans about a foul throw I just shout "it was fine". I much rather catch the cheeky pushes and tugs rather than worry about foul throws. I've had CAR's watch out for it before, but find once one of them flags for a foul throw then the other one will give them. You end up with a right tit for tat situation. For me a foul throw is quite far down on my concerns during a game.

Manager might have a point.....

By all means communicate the reason for the decision but keep it short and simple....'foot up'...'foot on pitch'.....if you start getting into too much detail it will come across as coaching.

And as for trying to wind the manger up with the comment about substitutions......ill advised, petulant and not necessary.

That's what I was saying, short, sharp and sweet.

I certainly weren't trying to wind their manager up. If he wants to have a moan at me for "wasting time" then I'll state a fact that he's the one wasting time. :)

Refs may think that a manager is wasting time by carrying out numerous substitutions. but if you ever tried to use that as a reason or counter-reason they blankly deny it, and refer to the league rules as they can carry out as many rolling substitutions as they like.

But when a Ref is providing explanations to their decisions, that the managers think is wasting time what defense can they use against that - LOTG says the ref is to apply LOTG, not provide an explanation. That is left to the teams to read, interpret and play as they see fit.

If he wants a lot of subs, add on the time allowed and when he asks why that half was 60+ minutes he has no excuses.

I agree with what you're saying. Personally when I play and do something wrong (if I'm not sure why I've been penalised), I like being told as it helps for next time. When I referee, I do it exactly how I'd like it done when I'm playing (if that makes sense).

It's good for the ref to provide explanations...but I find it odd that the manager finds it's taking time. It only takes a second to say 'you lifted your foot off the ground' - and in that time the other team are fetching the ball and moving into position. So my question is, davidbartlam, what's going on for you to be delaying play for these explanations (assuming that's what's happening)?

Really? What other parts of the law do you have no interest in applying?
I didn't realise it was that simple! Man, I would have stopped bothering with offside YEARS ago!!!

It's good for the ref to provide explanations...but I find it odd that the manager finds it's taking time. It only takes a second to say 'you lifted your foot off the ground' - and in that time the other team are fetching the ball and moving into position. So my question is, davidbartlam, what's going on for you to be delaying play for these explanations (assuming that's what's happening)?

Absolutely nothing. The ball would be fetched, and as it was, I'd shout "Both feet off the floor; released too early" etc. Words which take a second or so to speak as the other team are re-grouping to pick the ball up. The manager, I can only assume felt that I was aiding the away team (they were the ones foul-throwing 98% of the time) by telling them what they did wrong. I was certainly rather surprised when he came up to me just after the half time whistle. Trivial stuff.

I'd be interested to know how a player can do that David? :confused:

What do you think I mean by released to early? During which phase of a throw do you think that could be applied to? ;)

I'll help you out.... The ball was released from pretty much behind the head :)
Too early - Law 15 pg 49 • delivers the ball from behind and over his head
The ball was released from behind the head - therefore not over it. Releasing too early :)

Last edited:
Thanks david. If you were holding up play to discuss it - or even if you comment tended to result in the player coming over to query it which held up play and that happened a lot then the gripe is understandable. But you're doing the right thing IMO, so it's a baseless gripe. Most players/teams would welcome this sort of thing.
Telling them what they did wrong certainly isn't coaching.

Reactions: DB
@CapnBloodbeard The only time play was held up (Other that a substitution at least every 4 minutes during the second half) was when the'd kicked the matchball over the fence (we were on a 3G pitch). There was no other match ball and for some reason, they'd turned up with under-inflated size 4's... Other than that which obviously isn't my fault, I think it was just the manager trying to be a bit clever. We're used to that though :)

Absolutely nothing. The ball would be fetched, and as it was, I'd shout "Both feet off the floor; released too early" etc. Words which take a second or so to speak as the other team are re-grouping to pick the ball up. The manager, I can only assume felt that I was aiding the away team (they were the ones foul-throwing 98% of the time) by telling them what they did wrong. I was certainly rather surprised when he came up to me just after the half time whistle. Trivial stuff.

What do you think I mean by released to early? During which phase of a throw do you think that could be applied to? ;)

I'll help you out.... The ball was released from pretty much behind the head :)
Too early - Law 15 pg 49 • delivers the ball from behind and over his head
The ball was released from behind the head - therefore not over it. Releasing too early :)

The reason I asked, was because we had quite a long and lively debate on the nature of the "foul" throw last year, where it was clear that many referees just seem to make it up as they go along. ;)
For your info, the LOTG state (as you've posted above) the ball has to be delivered from behind and over the head. It says nothing about "release" at all.
If you're suggesting that she was somehow able to start with the ball behind her head and then throw it in a way in which it didn't actually travel over it, then I put it to you Sir, that you were watching some sort of bizzarrely put-together contortionist-type snake-woman rather than a footballer. ;) :D

If you're suggesting that she was somehow able to start with the ball behind her head and then throw it in a way in which it didn't actually travel over it, then I put it to you Sir, that you were watching some sort of bizzarrely put-together contortionist-type snake-woman rather than a footballer. ;) :D
Truly laughing out loud at that one :)

And David, if that was indeed the case, then any chance of an introduction to her now I'm single again? :rolleyes:

Back