A&H

Man Utd v Sociedad

MattyL7

Level 7 Referee
Hey Guys

Just watching Man Utd v Sociedad champions league match.

In the 43rd minute of the game, Sociedad have a free kick just on edge of 18 yard box.

Sociedad player trys to take kick quickly to try and beat the keeper, have seen it done before and been allowed, ref cautions him.

Any idea what caution code this would come under?

And.... Would you caution for this?

Thanks

Matty

The Referee Store
He likes his cards doesn't he. Probably didn't get away with it because the ref was pretty much standing over the ball when it was taken.
Probably just go down as UB - Unspecified behaviour?

I would think it's delaying the restart, or perhaps USB to distract the opponent.

Yes, he did seem to like his cards - seemed to be quite a few incongruous ones, and I could feel the players getting wound up and frustrated with some of the soft free kicks he was giving. Wouldn't score him highly on game management TBH, I thought he killed it quite early and was altogether far too involved in the game.

Still, back to the free kick, watching on ESPN over here - to me, it looked like Griezman (I think) had asked for his yards, Ref had clearly signalled the free kick to be 'on the whistle' - other player then runs in and kicks it, barging ref out of the way in the process.

Not sure I would have cautioned in this case, but hey, this is planet UEFA and not planet earth, but would probably have pulled it back to be retaken. Once the yards are are quested, they have given ME control and they have given up any advantage of a quick FK as far as I'm concerned.

Once the 'on the whistle' signal is produced, the GK usually runs across the goal, checks his wall, resets it, moves it, wall players are looking at GK thinking they've got a few seconds to set themselves. So, could sell it as USB to distract opponent, or circumventing Law.

This is a caution for USB, having been told to wait until the whistle and then failing to do so.

Back