A&H

Man United v Liverpool

bester

RefChat Addict
Astonishing decision by VAR to overrule a penalty given by Taylor. A lunge from Bailly catching Phillips studs up in the shin, due to a faint touch on the ball.
I thought they were reviewing it for a red card.

Replay only showed in slow motion.

The Referee Store
Reviewing for a red card? We must be watching different games on that one.

Never a penalty in my opinion. Doesn’t make contact with him. Interested to know what others think though.

I’m a Liverpool fan watching the game and IMO that was NEVER a penalty and certainly not a sending off. Barely anything in it, if Phillips didn’t go flying because of his own momentum, I doubt they would’ve even questioned. Never a penalty - from a Liverpool fan.

No penalty for me. The contact is minimal and mainly cause by the Liverpool player attempting to get ball and missing.
Real Time it's definitely not.
Should VAR have got involved. Not sure. Depends what Taylor said to VAR I assume. Another vote from me for audio.
Both check and review completed quickly so there's one plus.

May have just missed his shin but still a lunging motion

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210513-210104.png
    Screenshot_20210513-210104.png
    577.9 KB · Views: 6
The big issue I have is whether you think it was a penalty or not, there is no way it can be described as a clear and obvious error.
80% of the people in this thread have advocated against the penalty. Most of football (other than perhaps some Liverpool fans) would say that’s not a pen.
Upon watching it, it’s clearly not a penalty. I’d say thats enough for a clear and obvious error

It's about as clear and obvious an error as I've seen from a top ref on the pitch for a long time
Comes down to what Taylor said to the VAR. I'd be very, very surprised if Taylor missed the touch on the ball.

If he thought like I did, incorrectly, that Bailly had caught him on the shin then perhaps it's reviewable.

No penalty for me. The contact is minimal and mainly cause by the Liverpool player attempting to get ball and missing.
Real Time it's definitely not.
Should VAR have got involved. Not sure. Depends what Taylor said to VAR I assume. Another vote from me for audio.
Both check and review completed quickly so there's one plus.

Even if they don't do audio live (and I can see reasons not to), it would be great if they would at least do what MLS does and have some after the fact discussions where they share the audio and the reasoning.

Let's face it, the "clear and obvious error" criteria has been chucked in the bin, and all penalty/red card incidents are being re-refereed by VAR. It seems pretty obvious that's just how it's being done now.

Did it look like a penalty in real time? Yes. Had I been sat at Stockley Park, would I have said to AT that I thought it was a "clear and obvious error"? No. With the benefit of watching it in slo-mo from different angles, do I think it's a penalty? No.

Let's face it, the "clear and obvious error" criteria has been chucked in the bin, and all penalty/red card incidents are being re-refereed by VAR. It seems pretty obvious that's just how it's being done now.

Did it look like a penalty in real time? Yes. Had I been sat at Stockley Park, would I have said to AT that I thought it was a "clear and obvious error"? No. With the benefit of watching it in slo-mo from different angles, do I think it's a penalty? No.

While I think the standard of C&E has slipped, I think you overstate how far it has gone. As someone says above, I think C&E can depend on why the foul was called. If the R called the foul because he thought the defender spiked the attacker with the studs, the video is clear that didn't happen--that is clear and obvious.

I’m comfortable with this as clear and obvious.

In real time, I thought penalty. On seeing the very first replay I immediately changed my mind.

80% of the people in this thread have advocated against the penalty. Most of football (other than perhaps some Liverpool fans) would say that’s not a pen.
Upon watching it, it’s clearly not a penalty. I’d say thats enough for a clear and obvious error

That isn't the bar that he been used up until now though. For example, the handling by the Fulham keeper outside of his area on Monday night was way more of a clear and obvious error but wasn't even looked at.

The big issue for me is that what constitutes a clear and obvious error lurches from one thing to another from week to week. VAR itself works and is useful, but the implementation of it in England is an absolute mess.

Back