A&H

Man City vs Norwich - encroachment

frank_ref

Makes you wonder why these referees even bother trying to teach it to the likes of us...

28bbsyr.jpg

(Also, here's a still of the 'offside' just before the Norwich goal.)

9i5l5v.jpg

The Referee Store
This is something that happens on the vast majority of penalties .......and is very rarely acted on I will give it 2 yards max any more than that is gonna be a retake ( depending on circumstances obviously) bit like goalkeepers only being allowed to hold the ball for 16 secs .....yes 16 as it seems to be nowadays

The still of the 'offside' is irrelevant. The ball is played by the 2nd Norwich player up (from the bottom of the area) who isn't in an offside position.

The still of the 'offside' is irrelevant. The ball is played by the 2nd Norwich player up (from the bottom of the area) who isn't in an offside position.

Looks offside to me. But that's okay. They probably won't change the decision now depending on what I think. ;)

Last edited:
Can anyone recall a penalty being retaken/chalked off for encroachment EVER in the EPL?
I can't

Clattenburg has done it this season, can't remember the competition.
'Twas an Premier League game at Crystal Palace (vs. West Ham). The one where Dwight Gayle was also sent off for two cautions. I think it was Gayle who also encroached at the penalty. The fact that Gayle was almost in more advanced position than the kicker and blocking Clattenburg's view of the kick probably swayed his decision.

Back