A&H

Man City v Shaktar Donetsk

The Referee Store
There is one refereeing career over.

Two things.

Can either the assistant or the statue behind the goal not see this and help out, maybe (trying to defend the ref) he was unsighted.

Secondly its not a dive from Sterling as a few suggesting on twitter.

There is one refereeing career over.

Two things.

Can either the assistant or the statue behind the goal not see this and help out, maybe (trying to defend the ref) he was unsighted.

Secondly its not a dive from Sterling as a few suggesting on twitter.
Poor positioning. Looking down barrel of a gun, with no angle, but not un-sighted I dont think.

Last edited:
He should be closer and more importantly 10 yards wider and then he cant make that mistake.

Still think the assistant (cant see his position) should be level (ish) with Sterling and assistant behind the goal who was probably on his phone.

It's a horrible error, but what is the AAR doing? He has got a clear side on view of that, as arguably has the senior assistant.

I have some sympathy with Kassai as he was too much directly behind the play with no angle, but that is one of the worst ever penalty decisions and he will carry the can. He needed rescuing by his team mates and for whatever reason they didn't. That either means he says he doesn't want any help on penalties on his side of the pitch, in which case he only has himself to blame, or the AAR had nodded off.

Why on earth is he not trying to get wider (or even more central) as he sees Sterling running in a straight line towards goal? Asking for trouble!

Why on earth is he not trying to get wider (or even more central) as he sees Sterling running in a straight line towards goal? Asking for trouble!

I suspect he was lulled into a false sense of security by a one sided game and switched off. Also think that whilst he was once one of the golden lights of FIFA refereeing, he has been on the wane for a while now and is nowhere near his previous very high standards. This incident might well signal the end of his FIFA career, but I still think he has been badly let down by his colleagues.

I suspect he was lulled into a false sense of security by a one sided game and switched off. Also think that whilst he was once one of the golden lights of FIFA refereeing, he has been on the wane for a while now and is nowhere near his previous very high standards. This incident might well signal the end of his FIFA career, but I still think he has been badly let down by his colleagues.

Perhaps, but even at grassroots a player making a bee line for the area is a key sign that I need to be getting wide. Inexcusable here

Have you ever been speechless from shock. Or a decision is so obvious that you think you must have missed something. I think that's what happend to ARs.

Either that or a pre-match instruction of leave everything in the PA to me. Unlikely but not unheard of.

Either that or a pre-match instruction of leave everything in the PA to me. Unlikely but not unheard of.
Not unheard of perhaps but against the provisions in the Laws of the Game regarding the roles of the other match officials and completely contrary to the whole rationale for having AAR's in the first place, so I would be surprised if a top-level referee would issue such an instruction.

Last edited:
I would guess that each official is watching something different and they're not all focused on the ball. The assistant would be looking for offside & the AAR for offences off the ball, so the decision is solely on the referee

I would guess that each official is watching something different and they're not all focused on the ball. The assistant would be looking for offside & the AAR for offences off the ball, so the decision is solely on the referee
With respect, an offside call takes milliseconds, he wasn’t anywhere near offside, the Lino doesn’t become blind to any other call once the offside is OK. AR’s fault IMO, luckily it wasn’t a game changer and the dodgy deal money team shone through.
🤔

ARs fault? who's main job is to watch the offside line? no matter how play is developing that's his number one priority.
he's also 60 yards away with 2 other officials much closer?!

Surely This is the final nail in the AAR coffin? It's costs 1000s to fly and accommodate these officials and there's just no benefit in them being there whatsoever.

Back