A&H

Lower Back

Ryan Owens

Token Colonial
Level 3 Referee
Yesterday I was running a line on an astroturf pitch for University and by the end of the first half my lower back was in absolute knots and pain was radiating up through my shoulders as well. I will say that it was my second match of the day and my warm up in the first match was run abysmally by the referee so I didn't get in as good a stretch as I'd have liked to but I've still never experienced this kind of tightness, tension and pain in my lower back before. It got so bad that my concentration really suffered and I made a few mind-boggling decisions on goal kick/corner kick incidents. Any advice for lower back pain?

The Referee Store
Yesterday I was running a line on an astroturf pitch for University and by the end of the first half my lower back was in absolute knots and pain was radiating up through my shoulders as well. I will say that it was my second match of the day and my warm up in the first match was run abysmally by the referee so I didn't get in as good a stretch as I'd have liked to but I've still never experienced this kind of tightness, tension and pain in my lower back before. It got so bad that my concentration really suffered and I made a few mind-boggling decisions on goal kick/corner kick incidents. Any advice for lower back pain?

Presumably, next time you have the same ref, you can mention to him that you have a warm up routine that your physio has insisted that you do before every match or risk injury.

Refs who like to chat and drink tea before a match and think that rubbing their hands together constitutes a warm up

God love 'em

Presumably, next time you have the same ref, you can mention to him that you have a warm up routine that your physio has insisted that you do before every match or risk injury.

Refs who like to chat and drink tea before a match and think that rubbing their hands together constitutes a warm up

God love 'em

Well it was kind of worse than even that because he pretended to do a warm up and it kind of became obvious after ten minutes that he really didn't know what he was doing and was a bit of a fish out of water -- no fault of his own, he doesn't often get to work with a team of officials and do higher level matches. We ran from one touch line to the other for about seven minutes with no dynamic stretching and then we stopped and he said "okay, now go ahead and stretch" and that was it. Turns out, static stretching really is as awful for pre-activity as they say.

Difficult to give advice as it's hard to know exactly what you have done.

However, it sounds like a straight forward but very painful back muscle spasm/tweak/pull. if a sports massage is not available or prohibitively expensive I would suggest buying a Foam roller - great for a home back massage. I use a trigger point roller, helps when my back is playing up.

Keeping active is generalised advice for back pain. Common sense would say just rest, for back pain that can be the worst thing to do.

I also use really cold baths. Nut shrivellingly cold! Works for me.

This tends to happen to me on a regular basis towards the end of the season when the pitches get harder.

I usually take a couple of painkillers and have a hot bath, usually does the trick. As Supermonkey says, it's also very important to try to keep moving.

This forum never fails to amaze. Literally had killer lower back pain from my match yesterday so this advice is so helpful!

Hot and cold treatment is usually good for muscle spasms. Follow it up with the use of a heat gel containing ibuprofen which can numb the sensation allowing greater movement. With back pain, part of the problem is that the spasms and the lengths to which you go to, to avoid having one, make you tense. This tension in itself can result in the generation of spasms ... chicken and egg situation.

A decent physio can release the knotted muscle in a 30 minute session. They can also use ultrasound for deep muscle work. Just don't suffer in silence or sit down, keep active.

A good stretch is to lie flat on your back. Take the leg from the side that is hurting, lift it straight up to near 90 degrees and then left it fall to the other side of your body (ie trying to get your toes up to waist level with your flag along the ground). Stretch it as far as you can and then swap legs. Try to keep both your hips on the ground and you'll stat to feel it stretching.

Because of the rugby (like American football but tougher and with no protective equipment ;) ) I play, I suffer from occasional back problems but doing this before a match really helps reduce the risk of injury.

Hands and knees on the ground. Slowly lower your head towards the ground, gently arching your back up like a cat. Hold for a slow three count.

Raise your head lowering your back slowly. Do this until your head is arched towards the ceiling and you lower back is dipped like a letter U. Gently again, hold for a slow 3 count. Repeat.

At the risk of sounding a bit new age. Yoga is an absolute saviour for me at the moment. It really does help keep the joints and limbs a lot more supple.

Honestly, I've considered it for the first time. I've done another couple of uni matches on the week-end and my back and hamstrings are sore as you like right now.

Hippy :p

I have a friend who swears by yoga. He also does tai chi which he swears by also.

I've just used online videos in the privacy of my own home and must say the stretching is very good. It really has helped. I'd honestly say it's worth a punt. It doesn't seem like it can really do any damage so only positive from me.

Back