A&H

Long-time listener, first-time caller

Refollie

Level 5 Referee
Hi guys - I've been reading the forums for a while and I felt it was finally time for me take the plunge!

I'm a level 5, originally from Gloucestershire but now reffing all over London, Surrey and a bit of Middlesex FAs in what is now my 10th season. I just moved to New York with work for a year so am keeping up the refereeing over here, even if they do insist on calling the game 'soccer' and calling me 'sir'.

You'd think I had some wisdom to impart after 300+ matches but we'll soon see about that...

The Referee Store
Welcome to the site. Another 'lurker' coming out of the shadows :)

Hi guys - I've been reading the forums for a while and I felt it was finally time for me take the plunge!

I'm a level 5, originally from Gloucestershire but now reffing all over London, Surrey and a bit of Middlesex FAs in what is now my 10th season. I just moved to New York with work for a year so am keeping up the refereeing over here, even if they do insist on calling the game 'soccer' and calling me 'sir'.

You'd think I had some wisdom to impart after 300+ matches but we'll soon see about that...

Hello mate. Just got here myself. Look forward to hearing from you..... :)

Welcome!!
Whats it like reffing "grassroots" over there??
Interesting, to say the least! The work I'm doing over here involves a lot of weekends so I've mainly been doing college and grassroots games midweek.
In general, dissent is more or less non-existent, so that's a plus. The standard is lower in grassroots men's matches but women's is a whole lot better, which is great.
One thing I would warn refs coming to the US is to invest in a couple of different colour kits. I would always to refuse to change from black when refereeing in the UK and would never wear a bib, but teams are allowed to wear black here so be aware.
I do miss the higher standard matches I was doing in England but I'm hopeful the FA will welcome me back with open arms come next season.

Good luck with it, do you get the chance to ref higher levels over there?
I've had a few opportunities to do things higher up the ladder yes, which has been a great experience as there are obviously more people watching. Standard of football is much the same though because of the lack of the pyramid here

Back