A&H

Liverpool v Tottenham

Mr Dean

RefChat Addict
Fabinho is cautioned for a challenge on Son. Michael Oliver asks Son to leave the field of play after receiving medical treatment. Did Oliver make an error in law?

The Referee Store
Fabinho is cautioned for a challenge on Son. Michael Oliver asks Son to leave the field of play after receiving medical treatment. Did Oliver make an error in law?
No. The law says treatment must be completed quickly.
In the back of the book it reccomends 20-25secs from when ready to restart the player still has to leave.
Although, very rarely see a player allowed to remain of FOP at top level

I think that, at least in top level games this is a law that is (to misuse a Shakespeare quotation in the way it usually is) "more honour'd in the breach than in the observance."

That is to say it's more often ignored than it is implemented. In fact in the EPL, I can't remember seeing it applied a single time - though I did see it once in a European game.

And there have been times when I thought it definitely could have been implemented if the referee had wanted to do so.

Perhaps if anyone else recalls having seen it used in England's top league, they could let us know.

Back