A&H

Liverpool v Shrewsbury

Ryanj91

Can someone tell me why the Shrewsbury goal was disallowed?!
First phase - striker onside.
Cross - striker onside.
Rebound to goalscorer who was onside as the original kick was hit. (Defender bottom left of screen is playing them all on by about 2 yards)

I'm assuming this is allowed as it was on TV? If not a VAR section would be useful.

The Referee Store
I was baffled initially but it was an earlier phase. The ball was played forward to the left back Golbourne and he was coming back from an offside position and played the ball, the attack then built from there.

I was baffled initially but it was an earlier phase. The ball was played forward to the left back Golbourne and he was coming back from an offside position and played the ball, the attack then built from there.
Blimey? That wasn't shown on the BBC highlights for it to be disallowed... So we must be talking ages before the actual goal?
It is 10 seconds of football from the ball over the top to goal in my description above.

How many phases of play back can VAR go?

Blimey? That wasn't shown on the BBC highlights for it to be disallowed... So we must be talking ages before the actual goal?
It is 10 seconds of football from the ball over the top to goal in my description above.

How many phases of play back can VAR go?

It wasn't that far back, think it was the pass before the first phase that you mentioned.

On the other channel, first time I've celebrated a goal this season (aside from u10s football), when Maximan hit the winner. TBH, I don't get overly excited by professional football anymore, but good to watch some goals tonight that weren't just provisional

Reactions: Kes
I've seen the VAR still. It really doesn't look like the live action! 1 min 40....

And however I try I can't freeze the vid where VAR froze it ....

I've seen the VAR still. It really doesn't look like the live action! 1 min 40....

And however I try I can't freeze the vid where VAR froze it ....

This is what i mean. The offside happened waaaay before the goal.

Surely there must be a cut off point of when offsides can be used? The VVD handball wasn't given to disallow a Liverpool goal in a previous match because it was a different phase of play, despite VVD putting the ball over the top for it to lead directly to the goal. That was more linked to the goal then what we have/haven't seen above.

I don't think the above video has the offside bit included - I think it was against Golbourne who already has the ball when the clip starts.

For me, this is part of the attacking phase of play as it's basically part of the move that leads to the goal.

If Van Djik had committed an offence in the build-up to the goal against Wolves it would have been disallowed as it was part of the attacking phase of play. But the only potential question mark (if the ball hit his hand) was accidental handball that created a goal or a goal-scoring opportunity and that didn't apply because Lallana got the assist. If Van Djik had deliberately handled the ball or committed a clear foul the goal would not (or at least should not!) have stood.

On the other channel, first time I've celebrated a goal this season (aside from u10s football), when Maximan hit the winner. TBH, I don't get overly excited by professional football anymore, but good to watch some goals tonight that weren't just provisional

Must of been a second dance around when the Mags robbed a winner at The Kazzam! And what a winner it was!

Surely there must be a cut off point of when offsides can be used?

There is. When the team gained possession of the ball. You may not like that standard, but that is the clear standard. We've also seen goals called off because of minor fouls a good time back, but after the team gained possession. While the standard can, in unusual cases, go back quite far, it is a relatively clear line--and the clearer the line for how far VAR goes back the better. The last thing we would want is a subjective standard of when the attack "really" started. There is already too much subjectivity as subjective fouls are being reviewed.

So VAR can go back that far to disallow a goal about 15-20?ish? Seconds later.

That player receives the ball, runs back towards the half way line, turns round and then puts in a ball over the top. The striker holds it up and then crosses it. Loads happens between the actual offside and the goal.
As @socal lurker pointed out, how far back the review can go is clearly specified in the VAR protocol. I would say anyone who's interested in the topic and wants to opine on it, really owes it to themselves to read the protocol.

As @socal lurker pointed out, how far back the review can go is clearly specified in the VAR protocol. I would say anyone who's interested in the topic and wants to opine on it, really owes it to themselves to read the protocol.

You mean this bit?
"The starting point for a phase of play that leads to a goal or penalty incident will be limited to the immediate phase and not necessarily go back to when the attacking team gained possession. Other factors for consideration will be the ability of the defence to reset and the momentum of the attack."

You mean this bit?
"The starting point for a phase of play that leads to a goal or penalty incident will be limited to the immediate phase and not necessarily go back to when the attacking team gained possession. Other factors for consideration will be the ability of the defence to reset and the momentum of the attack."

It depends on the situation. If a team gains possession after a foul, keeps possession for a while, plays the ball back to their goalkeeper and then keep possession again for two minutes before scoring they're almost certainly not going to go back and disallow it because it wasn't part of the attacking phase of play.

I think on Tuesday it was part of the APP. Golbourne was offside, played the ball to a teammate who immediately played it forward and they scored from the cross.

From what a member of the SG said it is up to the VAR to state when a new period of play starts, during real time so that the VAR assistant knows where they have to rewind to.

You mean this bit?
No, I mean the full definition of "attacking phase possession" or APP in the final VAR protocol document. I won't reproduce it here as it's a bit long, but it runs to nearly 3 pages.

Back