A&H

Liv v Eve

Jono333

Level 9 Referee
Quite a few incident so far

Penalty is the correct call for me holding an opponent.

No idea how holgate has stayed on the pitch. Excessive force for me could have seriously injured firminho. Not even a yellow?

The Referee Store
Very naughty indeed. Holgate very lucky to stay on the pitch; if that's not endangering an opponent I don't know what is.

Although it is a Merseyside derby so some smart refereeing needed, hope it doesn't come back to bite Madley though

Just posted same thing...

Lenient refereeing from Bobby Madley to say the least!

Quite a few incident so far

Penalty is the correct call for me holding an opponent.

No idea how holgate has stayed on the pitch. Excessive force for me could have seriously injured firminho. Not even a yellow?
Penalty correct. 2nd incident is bit of a push, below the neck - fact that he ended up in the crowd made it look worse than it was along with subsequent reactions. Would barely register elsewhere on the pitch. For me, sensible in a derby Cup tie when close to half time.

Pen correct

How the Holgate incident is not a yellow each is bewildering. By taking no action, you are in effect saying such actions are allowed! Yellow for the push, yellow for the reaction, I think each and every one of us are told at a brawl to find at LEAST the two who started it.

Crazy challenge by Rooney, Firmino's wasn't too clever either.

Having seen replays, wonder if Firmino said something to Holgate prior to the shove? However still no excuse for aggressively shoving an opponent into the crowd though. Holgate compounds it by grabbing referee Bobby Madley from behind in the aftermath and no card shown for either!

I think Holgate should have had at least Yellow for shoving into crowd and at least Yellow for man handling official

Firmino probable Yellow for charging with intent at holgate

I might be way off the mark but it looked to me like John Moss was advising a red card, the words "off" seemed to be used, its rare for a 4th to call ref over and no sanctions are carried out, total guess, Moss wanted Holgate off and Madley has thsnked him for his input and said no

Well, Mason Holgate appears to make quite a serious allegation in the skirmish afterwards. Whatever he heard appears not to have been heard by the referee even though the latter was between both players. I'm not a lip reader but I have a good idea what Firmino is supposed to have said and it may well have been racist.

I think Holgate should have had at least Yellow for shoving into crowd and at least Yellow for man handling official

Firmino probable Yellow for charging with intent at holgate

Adopting an aggressive attitude.....intent is nothing to do with the LOTG

Thoughts on Madley physically intervening to stop Firmino doing something silly?

Very generous penalty.....yes there was some contact, but Liv player threw himself to the ground......not convinced.

Moss & Madley....talk about blind leading the blind.......Moss probably telling him that Holgate has to go, if not for the Firmino shove, then certainly for grabbing hold of Madley.....would love to have heard Madley's reasoning for not sending him? Clearly no respect for himself or his colleagues as players all around the country have just seen a player aggressively lay hands on a match official without any sanction.

Remember that moment when you are grabbed, pushed, shoved on a Sunday......and be sure to send an email to the FA & PGMOL thanking Madley for making it possible.

I hope Madely gets a savage spanking for not giving Holgate a yellow there. Firminio could have had one too.

But the penalty looked way soft to me. I can only get a distant reply and it looks like well... no offence...

Thoughts on Madley physically intervening to stop Firmino doing something silly?

Very generous penalty.....yes there was some contact, but Liv player threw himself to the ground......not convinced.

Moss & Madley....talk about blind leading the blind.......Moss probably telling him that Holgate has to go, if not for the Firmino shove, then certainly for grabbing hold of Madley.....would love to have heard Madley's reasoning for not sending him? Clearly no respect for himself or his colleagues as players all around the country have just seen a player aggressively lay hands on a match official without any sanction.

Remember that moment when you are grabbed, pushed, shoved on a Sunday......and be sure to send an email to the FA & PGMOL thanking Madley for making it possible.

For me, good proactive action stopping Firmino. Thats about the only part of the incident I can praise. There has to be two yellow cards there. And yes, I watched the game on a Dutch stream so I dont know if I got a different camera angle but Moss to me was advising that Holgate should be sent off. I would go as far as to say the body language of Moss in the second half was of a man who had been undermined. A very interesting and unique dialogue indeed.

Sensible refereeing at that level to get between the two players. Not sure I'd recommend the same approach had it been two players at Hackney Marshes on a Sunday morning, but the referee has a lot more protection at the top level with police and stewards if it does all kick off.

I just cannot understand how Holgate wasn't at least cautioned. Take your pick, the push, the reaction after, or the man handling of Madley. It really looked to me that Moss was telling him to deal with it and Madley's body language during that discussion was all wrong, almost came across as totally dismissive. I would also ask why, if there was going to be no action at the end of it, they didn't have that discussion over the comms as it would have looked much less messy.

Muggings here got in the middle of quite a few kerfuffles... Not recommended but its damn good fun unless you kop for one, which I never did!!

Hi all,

In my opinion, Bobby adopted a very lenient attitude in this match.

The Liverpool penalty incident seems a penalty as it is a holding offense. However, a holding offense in your penalty area is a red card.
The MOTD presenters are talking nonsense when they say football is a contact sport and nowadays a player can touch the other players. Just because that happens more frequently without pushing, pulling or holding doesn't mean it is written in the laws of the game.
Holgate should've seen red after he used excessive force to push Firmino into the spectators, such a collision could've seriously injured him.

All opinions are my own and I understand that other people will have different opinions, this is REFCHAT, not REFWAR.

Jacob M

Back