A&H

Liv Lei - some problems?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
I thought Swarbrick unfortunately had a game littered with poor moments - but it looked like he had a communications problem - perhaps the com system not working? At least he was having to make fairly crude hand signals at AR1 at a lot of throw ins. AR2 was top notch - my favourite in the league. NS though had a whistle to mouth moment when he should have called a tackle from behind for Leicester. He also went in to the goal to separate Can and Maguire(?) without using his whistle first. It looked bad and he could have easily got an elbow in the face there. There were a few other fouls that could have gone to Leicester and Robertson should have had a penalty. It was just messy throughout IMHO and NS looked vexed. Ideas?

The Referee Store
Wasn't televised in the UK so the only people who will have seen it will have been those at the game.

Won't be the first time technology breaks down and won't be the last. This is why I tell referees to not use technology until hey have fully learned their trade, and that means at least getting to Level 3. I see it time and time again where technology fails and the referee completely misses multiple signals from one or both assistants, simply because they have come to rely on the technology. Granted that is buzzer flags rather than comms kits, but it is the same principle. Different for Swarbrick as he is old enough to have been around before even buzzer flags, but if he was flummoxed by technology failing then it just goes to show how dangerous it can be relying on it.

Yeah, I noticed the hand signals, it really does stand out when you're used to not seeing anything like that from PL ref's.

I also think the holding onto the ball situation raises an interesting question - presumably Maguire was eventually booked for delaying the restart, while Can's will go under AA? But do we think there's any chance Maguire's booking happens if Can doesn't rush in and kick up a fuss?

Yeah, I noticed the hand signals, it really does stand out when you're used to not seeing anything like that from PL ref's.

I also think the holding onto the ball situation raises an interesting question - presumably Maguire was eventually booked for delaying the restart, while Can's will go under AA? But do we think there's any chance Maguire's booking happens if Can doesn't rush in and kick up a fuss?
The hand signals thing was weird... Could have been using the finger or body... Fly on the wall?

I never understand these actions. Grabbing the ball isn't likely to speed up the restart, neither is holding onto the ball. Play isn't going to restart until everyone is back in position, and if the team that conceded wanted to slow it down they could do it in a number of other ways, for example their striker walks back to his own half really slowly, a player goes down injured, etc.

Wasn't televised in the UK so the only people who will have seen it will have been those at the game.

Won't be the first time technology breaks down and won't be the last. This is why I tell referees to not use technology until hey have fully learned their trade, and that means at least getting to Level 3. I see it time and time again where technology fails and the referee completely misses multiple signals from one or both assistants, simply because they have come to rely on the technology. Granted that is buzzer flags rather than comms kits, but it is the same principle. Different for Swarbrick as he is old enough to have been around before even buzzer flags, but if he was flummoxed by technology failing then it just goes to show how dangerous it can be relying on it.

??? ALL PL games available in the UK = not all live but the 90 mins can be viewed and of course highlights are on free to air. (BBC)

??? ALL PL games available in the UK = not all live but the 90 mins can be viewed and of course highlights are on free to air. (BBC)

Yes, but he posted it 30 minutes after the final whistle which is well before any highlights would have been available. It's illegal to broadcast a 3pm Saturday kick off live in the UK. Every single game is televised and broadcast live across the World, but not in the UK. The only way to watch them is via internet feeds, IPTV feeds, etc, which is illegal and also pretty much impossible now as The PL, Sky and BT have successfully forced all UK ISPs to block such feeds and channels.

Yes, but he posted it 30 minutes after the final whistle which is well before any highlights would have been available. It's illegal to broadcast a 3pm Saturday kick off live in the UK. Every single game is televised and broadcast live across the World, but not in the UK. The only way to watch them is via internet feeds, IPTV feeds, etc, which is illegal and also pretty much impossible now as The PL, Sky and BT have successfully forced all UK ISPs to block such feeds and channels.
If you are referring to I, note I am not in the UK and I am a recipient if Viasat's largesse. It's not quite as good as two years ago but we get loads more live games than the UK (legit for 30 eurons a month)

A friend pays for all the SWFC games in his house in Portugal, uses the same log on through VPN to watch live here. £125 for season I think!

A friend pays for all the SWFC games in his house in Portugal, uses the same log on through VPN to watch live here. £125 for season I think!

That's different, the Football League signed up with a provider called iFollow and they show all live Championship games to subscribers, but only to those outside of the UK. Your friend can indeed get away with using a VPN to watch it in the UK, but you can't sign up to it with a UK address or a UK bank account / credit card.

He sold his Debt Reclamation company last year for multi million pounds so is dual habiting between Portugal and UK. Your right though that you need to show your not UK resident at least when registering

I never understand these actions. Grabbing the ball isn't likely to speed up the restart
Exactly - if anything, getting into a tussle over the ball in the back of the net is never liable to do anything other than slow things down. The initial handbags followed by the intervention of the referee to sort things out and the high likelihood of disciplinary action (as in this case) is only ever going to have the exact opposite effect of what the forward intends.

The other thing that gets me about this is that the forwards who do this don't seem to realise that since it's not their kick off they don't really have a right to possession of the ball anyway.

That's different, the Football League signed up with a provider called iFollow and they show all live Championship games to subscribers, but only to those outside of the UK. Your friend can indeed get away with using a VPN to watch it in the UK, but you can't sign up to it with a UK address or a UK bank account / credit card.

Apologies for reply to 1st post, didn't notice timing issue.

EFL - You CAN watch live, legally in the UK through club websites - QPR charge £5 a match.

Apologies for reply to 1st post, didn't notice timing issue.

EFL - You CAN watch live, legally in the UK through club websites - QPR charge £5 a match.

They aren't supposed to, the deal with iFollow is strictly for overseas viewers only. UK based viewers are only supposed to get live commentary and then a full replay of the game after.

You'll have to clear your browser history after being on those dirty websites ;)

Its free to air on Comedy Central i've heard, who'd really pay to watch that defending every week!! Things have really gone for a Burton!! :cool:

Back