A&H

Level 6 promotion

Rowanmano

Level 7 Referee
Know this is quite a few months away and football may not even be back. In October in turn 16 and was wondering if it would be possible to try and apply for promotion to level 6? But at the same time was thinking that it might be best to get some experience doing open age games before applying?

The Referee Store
Know this is quite a few months away and football may not even be back. In October in turn 16 and was wondering if it would be possible to try and apply for promotion to level 6? But at the same time was thinking that it might be best to get some experience doing open age games before applying?

certainly possible, however i'd suggest you take your own advice and get some experience first!

at 16 you have so much time, no need to rush it

There are many on here who'd advise you to go for it without waiting, on the basis that you'll get feedback from observations. Personally, I prefer gaining experience and self-learning, such that I won't sit a test until I'm ready to be examined

Last edited:
I wish I'd started earlier, but even if i did start at your age, I'd be looking at 2-3 seasons as a minimum before i went for promotion, and then pushed myself as much as i could every season onwards.

The experience of so many different situations in games, and types of player, is vital to being successful at a young age.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Personally I'd recommend against a 16 YO doing open age without an experienced mentor at some capacity involved. I'd suggest doing plenty of U16 and U18 games before going into open age. If you are good enough, promotion will chase you, you don't have to chase it.

Back