A&H

Level 4 Club marks

The Referee Store
Will the clubs marks scrap off for level 4s this season?
Yes. They reset every season.
Although I did hear a rumour of 2 marking seasons, Jan- Dec and Aug-May to allow for mid-season promotions.

Ah, I see. I only read that on a Facebook group. I haven't heard it from a reliable source.
I can't see it happening either, a referee may ref up to 20 games (maybe more, some less, and only be observed on 4 or 5 so club marks give some weighting across all games.
They just changed it this season to top 50% for clubs so would seem strange to do away with that so quickly.

Maybe some form of combined position where observers marks carry more weight.

Something like 70% weight on observers and 30% on clubs, to give an overall position.

Ah, I see. I only read that on a Facebook group. I haven't heard it from a reliable source.
I can't see it happening either, a referee may ref up to 20 games (maybe more, some less, and only be observed on 4 or 5 so club marks give some weighting across all games.
They just changed it this season to top 50% for clubs so would seem strange to do away with that so quickly.

I agree, while there's flaws to them, you can't get rid of club marks. They're generally a good indication of how good a ref you are.

At 4 now you only have to finish top 50% for clubs to be in with a shot of going up, I think that's more than fair

Clubs marks not being scrapped but the system being revamped.

Check your emails!

Clubs marks not being scrapped but the system being revamped.

Check your emails!
Actually really happy with that. Hopefully will allow for greater objectivity and no just be able to stiff you with the lowest mark. And also removes the variance ie one clubs highest being 80 and another's being 90 despite both considering the performance equally.

what it will do is reduce the amount of really high marks, imagine clubs wont be arsed to tick the top box if they've got to write some justification in

Actually really happy with that. Hopefully will allow for greater objectivity and no just be able to stiff you with the lowest mark. And also removes the variance ie one clubs highest being 80 and another's being 90 despite both considering the performance equally.
It won’t remove the variance but it will reduce it. The marking band is more narrow than before but it doesn’t stop one club viewing your performance as 7 all around and the other using 8s.
You might be surprised to know that more maximum marks (100) will be affected by this than low marks. To give a top mark, the club will have to give comment to justify their mark, similarly for a low mark.
Hopefully, you won’t be penalised for giving/not giving that last minute penalty.

It won’t remove the variance but it will reduce it. The marking band is more narrow than before but it doesn’t stop one club viewing your performance as 7 all around and the other using 8s.
You might be surprised to know that more maximum marks (100) will be affected by this than low marks. To give a top mark, the club will have to give comment to justify their mark, similarly for a low mark.
Hopefully, you won’t be penalised for giving/not giving that last minute penalty.
But it's not numbers now. It's words. So if it's excellent, you press excellent, which makes someone's 75 excellent and someone's 85 excellent now an 80 eg.

Back