A&H

Leicester v Forest

Richthekeeper

Anyone seen the highlights of this?

I'm not sure who the referee is, but i felt he got most of the key decisions wrong!

1. The first penalty, awarded to Forest. The Forest player is hauled down just to the left of the penalty spot and a penalty is awarded. The defender is cautioned. I can only assume he escapes red because the player is deemed to be "travelling away from goal", but when you're dead centre of the goal and moving 3 yards to your left can that argument really be valid?

2. The red card shown to Paul Konchesky seemed harsh to me. His challenge was mistimed but I didn't think it was dangerous.

3. The penalty awarded to Leicester. Genuinely one of the softest penalties I've seen given this season - I'm not sure the contact was enough to knock over a skittle, let alone a human.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store

1) I wouldn't say, 'hauled' and i also wouldn't call it an obvious goalscoring opportunity
2) Not a great t.v. angle to comment on it
3) not the best angle again but looked like he bundled him over

i love when Haywain responds to my posts, because this always results in an opportunity for debate.

can you maybe elaborate on why, in your opinion, 1. isn't an obvious goalscoring opportunity?

Yes, I do take sugar, Rich :)

I'll take that as a compliment. unfortunately I've got to go collect my 16 year old son so i'll have to keep you waiting for an answer

and, yes, i do realise that i could have probably given you an answer in the time that it's taken me to type this but i'd like to savour my response ;)

I think that they look right to me?
1. No way it was an obvious goalscoring opportunity, he was running sideways
2. Not a nice tackle, but he (Anthony Taylor?) seems to play a small advantage, see that there isn't one and then send him off? Maybe he got a word in his ear from the AR.
3. Agree with haywain on this one.

Great header for the first Forest goal as well...

1. This is why the "travelling away from goal" interpretation frustrates people. Why does it matter that he was travelling sideways? If anything, that gives him a better angle to score.

If he's travelling sideways along the goal line, is it an obvious goal scoring opportunity then?

If the foul isn't committed, without question the striker gets a shot at goal from 10-12 yards.

2. I can see it either way

3. Awful decision, never ever a penalty!

anything that gets that poison dwarf billy davies sent to the stands for mouthing off has to be right ;)

anyway, Rich, as a goalkeeper , surely the idea of any goal-scoring opportunity being described as obvious must be a ridiculous concept in itself

I didn't see the game, haven't watched the video posted above, nor have I heard of Notts Forest, Leicester City, or refereeing, or football, so I couldn't possibly comment.

Hope that's helpful for you.

1. This has been pretty well covered - he's heading away from goal. Sure, if he's not fouled he may have got a shot away, but a bit of stretch to call it "obvious" in my opinion.
2. I would want to see that tackle from a different angle (but then again, the ref doesn't have that luxury). Based on what I can see, it looks like he goes in with both feet, so no problem with the red.
3. This looks like a good call to me. It only takes a small push to put the player off balance, and I don't see any sign of simulation.

I didn't see the game, haven't watched the video posted above, nor have I heard of Notts Forest, Leicester City, or refereeing, or football, so I couldn't possibly comment.

Hope that's helpful for you.

You been on the biscuits again, Frank? :)

As a Forest fan

1) stonewall penalty, and should have been a red
2) stonewall red every time
3) never touched him, yellow to attacker for simulation

I am completely impartial though.... :)

Last edited:
Not an obvious goal scoring opportunity because he's running away from the direction of goal. Should, however, be a caution.

Back