A&H

Leicester City v Spurs

Goldfish

Two incidents of note for VAR
In the lead up to the Spurs third goal by Bale the ball clearly hit Harry Kane on the arm and he went on to control and turn and to play the ball to Bale who scored. The word was that the handling did not lead to the goal and to quote the Sky commentator it was not "immediate enough"? For me it was all part of the goal scoring opportunity in the penalty area.
One the second one in my opinion Vardy did the oldest trick in the book which is to hold an opponents arm under an arm and go to ground. Sanchez even say to Anthony Taylor that Vardy held him and in the video one can see the tug on Sanchez with Vardy using his arm against his side. In real time it is a difficult one yet with VAR should be picking that up. No card for Sanchez either and it was a pull not an attempt to play the ball.

The Referee Store
Was waiting for this thread to pop up. Surprised it hasn’t been until now.

baffled with the handball, immediate enough for me.

agree with the Vardy incident also.

The handball decision is correct imo but also demonstrates the absurdity of the new law because Leicester were disadvantaged by defending properly; after the ball hit Harry Kane's hand, Leicester should have just let him kick it in the goal instead of forcing him out wide. The goal would have been disallowed because the accidental handball would be immediately before the goal. In other words, Leicester would have benefited from not defending properly.

The handball decision is correct imo but also demonstrates the absurdity of the new law because Leicester were disadvantaged by defending properly; after the ball hit Harry Kane's hand, Leicester should have just let him kick it in the goal instead of forcing him out wide. The goal would have been disallowed because the accidental handball would be immediately before the goal. In other words, Leicester would have benefited from not defending properly.

yep, i still find it absurd that we have different laws for the same offence depending on where it's committed on the pitch and the outcome

This confuses me as there was an instance in the Liverpool Spurs game where Liverpool had a goal disallowed when Firmino handled the ball (after being pushed in the back) about 15 seconds before the goal was scored. And this went between about 3 different players before it was scored.

It is hard enough trying to referee in lower leagues when the ref's at the top don't seem to know thier arse from their elbow when interpreting the laws of the game.

yep, i still find it absurd that we have different laws for the same offence depending on where it's committed on the pitch and the outcome
This is why this law improves with 21-22.

Only comes into effect if the player that handles the ball scores immediately/directly (ie, hand to goal, or hand to other bodypart and directly into goal)

This is why this law improves with 21-22.

Only comes into effect if the player that handles the ball scores immediately/directly (ie, hand to goal, or hand to other bodypart and directly into goal)

not sure it improves tbh, but get where you're coming from

I take it you don't like penalty kicks then, and you'd prefer a standard DFK from inside the penalty area ;)

I take it you don't like penalty kicks then, and you'd prefer a standard DFK from inside the penalty area ;)
Now you mention it, that is a bit stupid - at the very least, the PA should be a semicircle or round-cornered rectangle!

This confuses me as there was an instance in the Liverpool Spurs game where Liverpool had a goal disallowed when Firmino handled the ball (after being pushed in the back) about 15 seconds before the goal was scored. And this went between about 3 different players before it was scored.

It is hard enough trying to referee in lower leagues when the ref's at the top don't seem to know thier arse from their elbow when interpreting the laws of the game.
Firmino was penalised for a deliberate handball offence so number of passes/players is irrelevant as long as it occurred in the attacking phase leading the goal (which is did).

Reactions: ARF
Sounds like they can interpret the laws better than some other refs 👀 👀

Firmino was penalised for a deliberate handball offence so number of passes/players is irrelevant as long as it occurred in the attacking phase leading the goal (which is did).
So being pushed in the back and touching the ball is deliberate hand ball whereas pushing the ball down to your feet with your hand is not? Kane's handball was exactly that - and the goal shouldn't have stood. It gave him an advantage to create a goal scoring opportunity.

The rules are just to unclear currently and need to be cleaned up.

So being pushed in the back and touching the ball is deliberate hand ball whereas pushing the ball down to your feet with your hand is not? Kane's handball was exactly that - and the goal shouldn't have stood. It gave him an advantage to create a goal scoring opportunity.

The rules are just to unclear currently and need to be cleaned up.
The only thing that you've said which is correct is that it should have been a free kick for a foul by Dier on Firmino... The laws have already been rewritten for next season - under the 21/22 laws this would be a goal anyway.

As far as I can see, the only issue is that the LotG don't specify exactly how long "immediately" is - but I certainly wouldn't call the six seconds between the ball touching Kane's hand and him playing the pass to Bale 'immediate'.

The only thing that you've said which is correct is that it should have been a free kick for a foul by Dier on Firmino... The laws have already been rewritten for next season - under the 21/22 laws this would be a goal anyway.

As far as I can see, the only issue is that the LotG don't specify exactly how long "immediately" is - but I certainly wouldn't call the six seconds between the ball touching Kane's hand and him playing the pass to Bale 'immediate'.

Agree, I get the impression the officials have been told that it really does need to be immediate, so a goal is immediately scored or the ball is immediately passed to an opponent who scores. Nothing was immediate about this, Kane has had several touches and gone wide, then made a pass to a player outside of the area.

Back