A&H

Law 3.7 - Extra Players on the FOP

BrabantRef

Hi,

I'm a little bit uncertain on whether to caution extra players on the FOP or send them off. So a couple of scenarios just to see if I got it right:

1. Substitute/Substituted player enters field without permission but doesn't interfere with the play. YC for entering without permission at the next moment the ball goes out of play.

2. Substitute/Substituted player enters the field without permission and kicks the ball over the sideline somewhere around the halfway line. YC for entering without permission?

3. Substitute/Substituted player enters the field without permission and just before the ball goes into the goal of his team, the extra player kicks it away. RC for denying a goal?

4. Substitute/Substituted player enters the field without permission and stops a promising attack. YC for entering without permission and YC for SPA, so RC?

Do I get this right? Or am I missing something in the Laws?

*Edit: replaced player with substitute/substituted player

Last edited:
The Referee Store
1. Player enters field without permission but doesn't interfere with the play. YC for entering without permission at the next moment the ball goes out of play.
You could, for some reason stop play, in which case it would be an IDFK from the position of the ball at the time play was stopped
2. Player enters the field without permission and kicks the ball over the sideline somewhere around the halfway line. YC for entering without permission?
Restart play with a DFK
3. Player enters the field without permission and just before the ball goes into the goal of his team, the extra player kicks it away. RC for denying a goal?

4. Player enters the field without permission and stops a promising attack. YC for entering without permission and YC for SPA, so RC?
Both correct

Crazy part of the book
I remember things like;

Player/Sub or Team Official Entering
Interference = DFK
No interference = IDFK
Restart from position of ball. Verbal offences, restart from position of player

Player/Sub Leaving
Offence against own team;
Sanction accordingly, IDFK from (nearest) touchline or goal line
Offence against opposition team;
Sanction accordingly, DFK from (nearest) touchline or goal line (inc. PK)

Offence against Outside Agent is always Dropped Ball AFAIK. Location of DB depending on whether offence involves contact or verbals etc.

Stand to be corrected. That lot is from memory. Nightmare more like it. Only really need to know this stuff for exams TBH

Last edited:
The OP refers to 3.7, but then talks about players--which is actually covered in 3.8 and has slightly different rules. This all used to be much easier before IFAB spent so much effort to make subtle changes to things that almost never happen . . .

I had never noticed before that for a player (I.e. one of the 11 who happen to be temporarily off the field for injury or equipment and needs permission to return), there is an odd option to stop play and give IFK even without interference; but for a sub, there is not stoppage unless there is interference.

The OP refers to 3.7, but then talks about players--which is actually covered in 3.8 and has slightly different rules. This all used to be much easier before IFAB spent so much effort to make subtle changes to things that almost never happen . . .

I had never noticed before that for a player (I.e. one of the 11 who happen to be temporarily off the field for injury or equipment and needs permission to return), there is an odd option to stop play and give IFK even without interference; but for a sub, there is not stoppage unless there is interference.
You are right, I used the wrong term. Should have used substitute/substituted player

3. Substitute/Substituted player enters the field without permission and just before the ball goes into the goal of his team, the extra player kicks it away. RC for denying a goal?

*Edit: replaced player with substitute/substituted player
Don't forget to award the penalty ... ;) :D

4.YC for entering without permission and YC for SPA, so RC?

I agree. I was taught the mechanics is to show the YC, identify conduct as a means to separate it from the 2nd yellow, flash the 2nd YC, followed by the RC due to 2YC, and then identify conduct.

Not a straight red.

Back