A&H

Law 16

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
What on earth does this mean please? 😅

Law 16:

“if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal a corner kick is awarded to the opponents if the ball left the penalty area.”

Is this strangely worded or am I just not getting it?

How would the ball leave the penalty area and end up in the keeper’s own net?

Thanks, everyone!

The Referee Store
Strange that the FA website contains out of date language. You can find the up to date laws on the IFAB website (https://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/4) or on the IFAB laws app.

The correct wording in law 16 is:

"if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opponents."

Ouch. The Law was the same way with the silly wind scenario for so long it totally slipped me that it was no longer a relevant distinction. (Though I do know refs who have actually seen that sill wind scenario happen . . . )

Only ever had it happen twice - both in the same match (for anyone familiar with my neck of the woods, I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that it was at Portland). First one didn't leave the penalty area before getting blown back, so retake. Second one did leave the area, was heading into the top corner, keeper dived and tipped it wide... wasn't until after the corner was taken that I realised it should have been an indirect free kick! Away team's captain asked me at half time what would have happened had it gone in, and I had to say that I wasn't sure (this was back in 2013/14, before what the restart would be was added)!

Back