A&H

Last minute postponements

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Should have had a game today with NAR's.

Game was 45 miles away, venue had changed twice this week, (after I had confirmed originally with assistants so had to arrange travel arrangements 3 times with them), was unable to take an afternoon game due to the travelling meaning I wouldn't be back in time, and had turned away 3 other games offered for the morning due to this game already being in the diary.

Then it was called off at 9pm last night as the away team couldn't field a team. This was a cup competition so the home side progress with no re-arrangement.

My question is in a circumstance like this (i.e. A circumstance within control of one or the other club, not weather related etc) should we as referees be entitled to some sort of recompense?

For example half fee?

Frustrating so much behind the scenes work has gone into it and me and the assistants had made ourselves available at the expense of other fixtures, for the game not to go ahead due to one club.

Half fees would also perhaps be enough of a deterrent to prevent these games cancelling to start with?

The Referee Store
I feel your pain, had something similar with a cup final at the end of last season.

Perhaps a strange question.....but did you still end up with no game? Did no league in your area require your services?

I feel your pain, had something similar with a cup final at the end of last season.

Perhaps a strange question.....but did you still end up with no game? Did no league in your area require your services?

Not that late in the weekend. I did email a couple of refs secs in case of any last minute drop outs but all went as planned!

Should have had a game today with NAR's.

Game was 45 miles away, venue had changed twice this week, (after I had confirmed originally with assistants so had to arrange travel arrangements 3 times with them), was unable to take an afternoon game due to the travelling meaning I wouldn't be back in time, and had turned away 3 other games offered for the morning due to this game already being in the diary.

Then it was called off at 9pm last night as the away team couldn't field a team. This was a cup competition so the home side progress with no re-arrangement.

My question is in a circumstance like this (i.e. A circumstance within control of one or the other club, not weather related etc) should we as referees be entitled to some sort of recompense?

For example half fee?

Frustrating so much behind the scenes work has gone into it and me and the assistants had made ourselves available at the expense of other fixtures, for the game not to go ahead due to one club.

Half fees would also perhaps be enough of a deterrent to prevent these games cancelling to start with?
What do the Cup rules say about your entitlement to fees. Normally, if you have not travelled, then you are not entitled to any fee or expenses. Sorry...:rage:

Nothing you can do unfortunately, just one of those things.

Where it gets worse if when you are en-route to the game and get a phone call to say the game is off. You don't get a fee as you haven't arrived at the ground, and you won't even get any out of pocket expenses as you won't see the home team to claim them. Some leagues will reimburse officials when this happens, but it is rare they are obliged to do so. Happened to me a few years ago where I was 20 miles from home and around the same distance away from the ground when I got a call that a local referee had called it off. Caused a bit of a hoo ha as they should have waited for me to arrive given I was on route.

Which is why some referees don't answer their phones if they are on the way to a game ..!

Nothing you can do unfortunately, just one of those things.

Where it gets worse if when you are en-route to the game and get a phone call to say the game is off. You don't get a fee as you haven't arrived at the ground, and you won't even get any out of pocket expenses as you won't see the home team to claim them. Some leagues will reimburse officials when this happens, but it is rare they are obliged to do so. Happened to me a few years ago where I was 20 miles from home and around the same distance away from the ground when I got a call that a local referee had called it off. Caused a bit of a hoo ha as they should have waited for me to arrive given I was on route.

Which is why some referees don't answer their phones if they are on the way to a game ..!
Shouldn't be using your phone while you're driving anyway! ;)

Back