A&H

Larne vs Crusaders

ARF

RefChat Addict

Spot on from the officials - but according to the Crusaders manager the keeper was on the line for two of the penalties, and the club have now said they are taking legal advice 😂😂😂

The Referee Store
Incredible, it isn’t even really close, it’s a proper jump! They’ve got quite a lot backlash on Twitter for taking legal action

I agree it is a sad day for a GK to be sent off for that--but it's what IFAB created with the overly stupid idea of cautioning GKs for this.

The problem was never that GKs weren't adequately punished for coming off the line--PK's usually score, so the punishment of having a retake is a huge punishment. The problem always was that refs wouldn't call it. Really, really dumb law change. (But let me know if you want to know how I really feel about this super stupid provision of the Laws.)

Of course, it is an even sadder day when the knucklehead manager thinks that lawyers are the solution to this. But I suspect nothing actually really happens, as I presume competent lawyers will tell the team there is no case to be made.

I agree it is a sad day for a GK to be sent off for that--but it's what IFAB created with the overly stupid idea of cautioning GKs for this.

The problem was never that GKs weren't adequately punished for coming off the line--PK's usually score, so the punishment of having a retake is a huge punishment. The problem always was that refs wouldn't call it. Really, really dumb law change. (But let me know if you want to know how I really feel about this super stupid provision of the Laws.)

Of course, it is an even sadder day when the knucklehead manager thinks that lawyers are the solution to this. But I suspect nothing actually really happens, as I presume competent lawyers will tell the team there is no case to be made.
I can't see how it creates good viewing.
To send a keeper off in a penalty shoot out is basically handing a victory to the opponents. Unlike in normal time, assuming a slot is still available, if you have a keeper sent off you can sub off a player for the reserve keeper. But in a shootout, you can't.
They're getting a retake anyway, so he hasn't actually achieved anything.
Plus keepers are the only players left that can still get cautioned/sent off in a penalty shoot out in a match situation. Outfielders will only receive their marching orders if they're saying or doing stupid things on the half way line (violent conduct or foul language).
Can understand the caution etc in a match but in a shoot out, nah. Don't agree with it.

I can't see how it creates good viewing.
To send a keeper off in a penalty shoot out is basically handing a victory to the opponents. Unlike in normal time, assuming a slot is still available, if you have a keeper sent off you can sub off a player for the reserve keeper. But in a shootout, you can't.
They're getting a retake anyway, so he hasn't actually achieved anything.
Plus keepers are the only players left that can still get cautioned/sent off in a penalty shoot out in a match situation. Outfielders will only receive their marching orders if they're saying or doing stupid things on the half way line (violent conduct or foul language).
Can understand the caution etc in a match but in a shoot out, nah. Don't agree with it.

I think we call all have an opinion on whether we think the law is good or bad, but I think it's indesputible that the refereeing team applied it properly, and that is really all that matters.

I think we call all have an opinion on whether we think the law is good or bad, but I think it's indesputible that the refereeing team applied it properly, and that is really all that matters.
I agree.
They can not moan about something written clear as day but its still wrong law to have.

Reactions: es1
The keeper has effectively been told 4 times and still doesn’t learn. I applaud the officials here

There’s only so many times you can warn somebody ...

It does beg the question though, if VAR had gotten one of these calls wrong, would the Club be taking Legal Action. Alas, possibly another problem with VAR because I'd guess the answer would be 'yes'
Good OP @Alex Rush-Fear
KFTPM Law is usually reserved for LOTG tests, so interesting to see unusual events happen

It does beg the question though, if VAR had gotten one of these calls wrong, would the Club be taking Legal Action. Alas, possibly another problem with VAR because I'd guess the answer would be 'yes'
Good OP @Alex Rush-Fear
KFTPM Law is usually reserved for LOTG tests, so interesting to see unusual events happen
The VAR protocol specifically covers this under the Match Validity section.

How much legal cover does that actually produce? Almost exactly as much as Law 5.7, which is most likely "full and complete cover up until the point actual laws are broken, at which point, zero cover". But it's existence is there as a deterrent and to protect any football bodies from having to accept liability within their own structures, the actual law is a different thing.

The VAR protocol specifically covers this under the Match Validity section.

How much legal cover does that actually produce? Almost exactly as much as Law 5.7, which is most likely "full and complete cover up until the point actual laws are broken, at which point, zero cover". But it's existence is there as a deterrent and to protect any football bodies from having to accept liability within their own structures, the actual law is a different thing.
OK, that's why I asked the Q
Easier to ask than die of boredom reading that stuff

Back