A&H

Lack of Respect for the Game

Ref253

Can anyone give me some examples of when they have cautioned a player under Unsporting Behaviour for 'Lack of Respect for the Game'

The Referee Store
I've used it for mocking behaviour. The sort of thing which isn't AA, but is very likely to incite repercussion

Reactions: Kes
I very nearly used this on Sunday, U15's game where a substitute decided to cheer and laugh loudly (and sarcastically) when an opposition striker missed an open goal. The only thing that stopped the card coming out was the robust way his coach dealt with him before I could get there. I choose to issue a very public rollocking on top and left it at that.

I've used it for mocking behaviour. The sort of thing which isn't AA, but is very likely to incite repercussion

I very nearly used this on Sunday, U15's game where a substitute decided to cheer and laugh loudly (and sarcastically) when an opposition striker missed an open goal. The only thing that stopped the card coming out was the robust way his coach dealt with him before I could get there. I choose to issue a very public rollocking on top and left it at that.

Same for me. Mocking the other team's ability or players. Its frankly, not very nice and seems to go on a lot. With youngsters (say, U16 and downwards) I could perhaps understand it but with adults it's uncomfortable and embarrassing - especially when as the referee, you're pretty much compelled to intervene and warn players or discipline as necessary. Just for those few moments, I feel more like a schoolteacher or parent than a football referee. :rolleyes::(

Refusal to leave the FOP to remove jewellery or adjust equipment?
(I guess this means chucking anything unspecified into the LORFTG category)

Last edited:
Refusal to leave the FOP to remove jewellery or adjust equipment?
(I guess this means chucking anything unspecified into the LORFTG category)
Refusal to follow a referees instruction (especially on something that is mandatory under the Laws)? Sounds more like dissent to me.

Dissent
Public protest or disagreement (verbal and/or physical) with a match official’s decision

Refusal to follow a referees instruction (especially on something that is mandatory under the Laws)? Sounds more like dissent to me.

Dissent for me too - plus it may take a little while before i can get back to check if he has removed/adjusted properly. Shouldn't be a problem after 10 minutes but it still needs to be checked ;)

I always thought not playing to win shows a lack of respect for the game. You know when both teams need a draw and the last 10-15 minutes of the game becomes boring as. It will be hard to point someone out to caution though.

Also when trying to achieve a pre-determined outcome (like scoring an own goal for betting purposes). I have never seen this pulled up by a referee but many cases dealt with by leagues.

Back