A&H

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
If a team was playing in a dark colour and I had to use another kit (the new yellow/green nike one), but that clashes with a keeper, what would be the best thing to do?

The Referee Store
If a team was playing in a dark colour and I had to use another kit (the new yellow/green nike one), but that clashes with a keeper, what would be the best thing to do?
Best thing to do would be to stay in black, and tell the team that they need to change - even where counties/leagues have allowed referees to wear coloured shirts, teams still aren't allowed to wear black/very dark kits.

Cheers. What about a youth team who might not have another kit to change into. I thought telling them to wear bibs might make them irate before it’s even kicked off

Cheers. What about a youth team who might not have another kit to change into. I thought telling them to wear bibs might make them irate before it’s even kicked off
if they get irate, not your problem,you have coloured cards, not bibs, much more effective

For me, you change and you clash with the gk
Clash with one player, or clash with ten?
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. I saw a lot of referees in the Championship and EPL wearing the red shirt, with one of keepers wearing bright orange.

You really don't want players to wear bibs. Makes it harder for yourself keeping an eye on player numbers for bookings, even just calling over players to talk to - you no longer have their number. Easier for opponents to grab, and the extra layer is unpleasant too.
You'd be better off clashing with the keeper and getting them to change - at least a clash is a lot more tolerable with a keeper if there's nothing else to wear.

You really don't want players to wear bibs. Makes it harder for yourself keeping an eye on player numbers for bookings, even just calling over players to talk to - you no longer have their number. Easier for opponents to grab, and the extra layer is unpleasant too.
You'd be better off clashing with the keeper and getting them to change - at least a clash is a lot more tolerable with a keeper if there's nothing else to wear.
Yeah, as a player I hated wearing bibs, especially in hot weather. That’s most likely what I’ll do, regarding clashing with the keeper. Thanks!

I did a friendly last week midweek it was very overcast. One team in dark blue. Within 5 mins home team were complaining I looked like the away team. I had a spare top and it is a nice adidas orange cost £10 and is an get out when I look like a player. Had to wear a bib as the home team were in Orange. Looks like time to invest in another spare!

I did a friendly last week midweek it was very overcast. One team in dark blue. Within 5 mins home team were complaining I looked like the away team. I had a spare top and it is a nice adidas orange cost £10 and is an get out when I look like a player. Had to wear a bib as the home team were in Orange. Looks like time to invest in another spare!
😂😂 I got the new Nike shirt in the bright yellow/green colourway. I was gonna go for red but lots of teams have started to play in red. Reason I made this post was because a lot of keepers play in yellow...

A bib is not an authorised player equipment. As far as laws of the game go it is just as much as a breach as a colour clash with the keeper. If there is no other option, the lesser of the two evils for me is colour clash with keeper with reasons explained above.

Yes as ref i have done a lot of unorthodox things but am still to run off my line and jump into a mob to claim a corner kick ball whilst shouting "keepers"
Or dived full length across goal to palm the ball over the bar
Chances of being confused for the gk?
Chances of being confused for outfield player?

Make sure you report the team to their league, otherwise future referees will come up against the same problem that you had.

do you have badges on your coloured shirts, here in scotland we can wear any colour, but you must have a referee badge on it

do you have badges on your coloured shirts, here in scotland we can wear any colour, but you must have a referee badge on it
I have this one (with the FA badge, not Surrey FA)

Attachments

• 41F71DE3-CD99-45AD-BBF1-7F39EBB7E233.png
    41F71DE3-CD99-45AD-BBF1-7F39EBB7E233.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
A bib is not an authorised player equipment. As far as laws of the game go it is just as much as a breach as a colour clash with the keeper. If there is no other option, the lesser of the two evils for me is colour clash with keeper with reasons explained above.
There's no such thing as "authorised player equipment." There's a list of compulsory items of equipment, there's mention of some items that are allowed (some with certain restrictions) and some items that are not allowed (jewellery and anything that is dangerous, for example). However there is not a comprehensive list of everything that is allowable. If it's not specifically mentioned it's up to the referee to decide if it's permitted. Bibs are OK as far as I'm concerned - and as far as the laws go.

For me, especially at lower levels of the game (youth soccer for example) use of bibs would come under the following:
Reference is made in Law 5 to referees operating within the framework of the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’. Referees are expected to use common sense and to apply the ‘spirit of the game’ when applying the Laws of the Game, especially when making decisions relating to whether a match takes place and/or continues.
This is especially true for the lower levels of football where it may not always be possible for the Law to be strictly applied.

Last edited:

Best solution, change your top. There won't be colour clash unless the goal keeper takes a kick-off (why would be in the centre circle - that is your area of patrol!!!! :old: ).

Then, after the game report the club for playing a dark colour - contrary to the Standard Code of Rules :flip:. Everybody wins

Back